Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the problem

I am doing a massive cleaning of my insight, so i took off the center counsol and the rear e-brake so i can get the whole carpet...

Well when i took them off i notices Rust, and lots of it on all if the brackets as well as the soldered joints

What the heck is going on here?? 2001 Insight, 97,000 km

·
Registered
334 Posts
Are you sure it's rust from the body?? The Insight body is made soley from aluminium, so chances are what you might be seeing is rust from a screw or bolt that got wet.

Could it be soda-pop or coffee? They have a rust like color when they dry.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Terra Cotta? Is that a real place?

It is expected that the steel brackets, fasteners, etc will form some surface rust. It happens.

If it really bothers you, you can paint the pieces with Rustoleum or something, as long as it does not interfere with their function.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Hmmmm....dubious

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am going to take some pictures and post them, they are no where near the screw holes, there is rust even on the Weld joints of the center column (Where the radio is)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Holicow-

That reminds me…I was wondering…Where does the name Rye Cheer come from? Is it a reference to grass, or whiskey or dry humor or what?

Clueless in California.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rust...

I have some rust - pretty bad too - where the seats mount to the frame, and on the hook that keeps the driver's floor mat from creeping up towards the pedals.

These are all steel parts and I plan to scrape off the rust, clean it Autosol (excellent product) and finally treat it with some rust inhibitor.

-Ron

·
Registered
295 Posts
To prevent rust on the seat attachments I have applied on all the seatbolts mastinox anti corrosion compound. I am gonna repeat this every 1/2 year. This is a yellow paste which will be eaten away due to potential electrical difference between 2 alloys.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi Stephen,

Since you have not given images yet of the rust you have in your shifter console, I have added one to the mod I did for the radio at:
http://www.md92raid.100freemb.com/clarion.htm

Under the string "Here is the Clarion installed with double face tape to the carpet in the shifter console" you will see two pictures. The second (new one) shows some light rust on a braket and also arounda solder point above the Clarion marked in yellow.

It is on steel parts that have not been painted (weird for a car not to be painted all over) but it is not really bad to me. Is it like that for your car.

If it should be worst, could you have water infiltration that leads to a humid environment and creates rust.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

I think that the other places are under the dash only. There are structural pieces of steel to hold the dash and the different accessories. It did not seem to be as bad there. Maybe the proximity of the floor(snow on the boots in winter) and lack of ventilation was the culprite

But I think that the steel parts are going to take may years (15+) before the rust affects them in a strong manner. I hope because it would be a big job to dismantle everything and paint the steel.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It's an unlikely scenario, but because no one mentioned it I'm going to throw it out there. Sometimes if cars have had flood damage, and then been unscrupulously resold, rust can be in all sorts of places you wouldn't expect it. But generally if it were flooded there would be other factors, too. Musty smell, mold...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts