Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved into a house recently that has some rusty sprinkler heads (or mabye the pipes are rusty, or who knows). All I know is that I now have rusty water stains on my beloved Insight! Needless to say I am no longer parking near those damned rust sprayers, but what can I do about my car?

Are there any car cleaning products designed specifically for this sort of thing? I read on car cleaning post here on the forum that Meguire's makes a clay bar for the removal of "bonded contaminants" from the surface of a car's paint. Should I give that a try?

Help please!

·
Registered
466 Posts
thats your best bet short of polishing compound. i assume you have tried cleaner/waxes...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
IIRC a clay bar (yup just like it reads) may do the trick too. But don't wait too long. Metal particles will cause increasing paint damage if left on the surface too long.

For severe enough cases a mild acid is used to dislodge the particles. Probably best left to a professional.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Rusty" water stains

The stains are probably not from rust in the lines, they are from the high mineral content (like iron) in the water. The buildings, curbs and sidewalks at your house and your neighbors are probably stained also. We have the same issues in Coastal South Carolina, lots of brown curbs and buildings with brown scallop shapes along the bottom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts