Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share this as I am going to be buying an insight again--

Back in July 2003 I was t-boned at an intersection, they ran a red light, the care was totaled. I walked away from it, good safety features, the person was estimated to be going at around 35 mph. Air bag deployed and I was wearing a seat belt. This was a 2000 year model, and my average mpg on that insight was 56 mpg, and that was driving like a bat out of hell.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Do you have any photos to post?

·
Registered
466 Posts
thats good to know. and i'm glad you are OK.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
james said:
It's interesting you should mention that just now, as I've been having a bit of a discussion elsewhere with some people who are still believing that old "big cars/SUVs are safer" myth. Sure: a vehicle that rolls over when a tire blows out is _safe_?
I'm curious to know how the Insight handles being hit by SUV's. I tend to believe the big vehicles make out better.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Thanks deckem - I look forward to the photos if you can find them. Reading my post I realize it's a bit terse. I'm not internet "rubber-necking" - like Resist I'm interested in seeing how "our" Insight handles a significant impact. I too am please you are safe and well.

Cheers - Ghillie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the pictures-found them......

Photo Library - 506.jpg
Photo Library - 505.jpg
Photo Library - 504.jpg
Photo Library - 503.jpg
Photo Library - 502.jpg
Photo Library - 501.jpg
Photo Library - 500.jpg
Photo Library - 499.jpg
Photo Library - 498.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
You will need to place them on an external photo-hosting website (such as Yahoo) and then post links to them. HTH.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Resist. You are correct.

In a collision between an SUV or other large vehicle and an Insight or similar subcompact, the larger vehicle will have an advantage is certain respects.

That doesn't mean a smaller vehicle won't fair well and do a good job of protecting its occupants, just that the larger vehicle may be capable of causing more damage to a smaller one.

An Audi TT was nearly completely crushed by a semi last year and after seeing the pictures and video of the accident it was hard to believe that anyone survived. The driver was practically unscathed with only minor injuries. The "myth" that I think was being described is that driving a large SUV guarantees that you will be safer in an accident than if you were in a smaller vehicle. The problem with this theory is that SUVs have much higher COGs, tend to handle much worse than passenger cars in high speed emergency maneuvers and therefore have a greater tendency to rollover causing greater injury to its occupants.

The saving grace of modern car design is the safety cage structure that has been incorporated into many current cars. The Mini Cooper, the DCX Smart and the Insight are all very small cars that have faired very well in accidents with vehicles of all sizes due in part to this design.

My personal preference will always be to be in a well designed, great handling passenger car that allows me maximum maneuverability and emergency handling rather than to be in a larger SUV or truck and I speak from personal experience having owned Mitsubishi Monteros, GMC Yukons and Chrysler minivans as well as my Insight, my Audis, Saturns and VWs. It's always better to avoid an accident than take your chances on "winning" in a collision.

Happy motoring! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
There is a really good book i just read called "High and Mighty" it is about SUVs and how dangerous they are. It was unbelievably informative to read about them. I had no idea how unsafe they can be and how the car manufacturers tweaked laws to make such gas guzzling cars. Highly recommend it for the insightful driver :)

i did see that insights got good crash test ratings on the government sites, thanks for the story and glad you are ok.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: Hey Resist. You are correct.

spacebug said:
In a collision between an SUV or other large vehicle and an Insight or similar subcompact, the larger vehicle will have an advantage is certain respects.
It's not as much as the SUV is "safer" in a two car crash, as much as the additional safety comes at the expense of reducing the safety of the people in the other car. :x

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Thanks for the pics - I'm very impressed and feel perhaps just a little safer knowing how strong our space capsules are!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts