Honda Insight Forum banner

Sale Story

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  jat1793 
#1 ·
There was an Insight for sale in my area with only 40k miles, and it was a 2005 model! :D

I was so happy; I was going to go and see it. I found out it got sold the day before... It was sold in just a few days. It was still sitting at the dealership, but of course I couldn't see it since it had been sold. I think that might be record time for a used Insight to be sold. Just my luck! :lol:

#2 ·
Sale Story? Shouldn't that be Sad Story?

Good luck with your hunt.

#4 ·
jat1793 said:
There was an Insight for sale in my area with only 40k miles, and it was a 2005 model! :D

I was so happy; I was going to go and see it. I found out it got sold the day before... It was sold in just a few days. It was still sitting at the dealership, but of course I couldn't see it since it had been sold. I think that might be record time for a used Insight to be sold. Just my luck! :lol:
When I got my insight I was actually heading to the toyota dealership to get a prius. I had always wanted an insight and the honda dealership was on the way to the toyota dealership so I decided to stop in and see if they had any used insights on the lot....

I was in luck. I stopped by the honda dealership around 1pm and the VW part of the dealership had just taken a '06 insight on trade for a new jetta that very morning. I put a down payment on it and went to the bank.

My insight sat on the used dealers lot a grand total of around 6 hours :D That has to be a record ;)

#6 ·
I bought mine through autotrader in April of 04 from Milledgeville, GA.

I had learned an enormous amount here so I called about it. I asked very detailed specific questions about the recalls, IMA system, etc. The owner answered and also explained he had Excel spreadsheet with every gas fill, where bought, price, fcg reading per tank, lifetime, every wiper blade, oil change, nickel, dime spent on it since new.

We negotiated a price and I sent him a deposit contingent on it being in the condition I expected.

I drove about 600 miles there and it was as he had explained. Loaded it on a trailer and pulled it home behind my Nissan Frontier. The rest is history.

#7 ·
I literally stumbled on mine late last spring. It was at a mom & pop car lot down the street. They said they had a lot of interest, mostly novelty, and once people found out it was a 2 seater it was a no deal.

At the time I was unsure exactly what it was until I looked at http://www.fueleconomy.gov. After seeing the Insight at the top of the list I went for a test drive. After getting home I found this site and browsed it for about 4 hours, the info on the 10 year / 150k mile warranty was the clincher. The next morning I went back and made an offer. They wanted $6700, I got it for $6400 that same day. To date I have only caught a glimpse of a red Insight here, my mom told me that she has seen a silver one like mine, so they are extremely rare in this town. I have yet to have seen any others in any of my other travels.

#10 ·
I picked up my 2000 Insight in a private party sale that was on Craigslist. My '95 Integra was totaled in an accident a couple of weeks prior, and I needed new wheels. I had told myself that, once the price of used Hybrids came down I'd go that route, and I saw this Insight with 57k miles listed for $5k. The owner thought there was some major transmission work needed, and he wanted to just get rid of it and go carless.

I test drove the car on a lark, as I assumed the Insight would drive like a golf cart, but I thought it'd be a good chance to get behind the wheel of a hybrid for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised at how "normal" the car rode, with decent steering and handling, and not atrocious acceleration. And I determined that the "transmission problem" was actually just a loose heat shield, giving the car a nice $1600 discount below trade in value.

I've had it for over 6 months now, and I've been averaging about 61mpg overall with ~6k miles added to the tally. I enjoy the conversations that people start up about the car, and the $300 or so that I've saved in gas prices over that period. Now I'm waiting for the CR-Z so I can have the efficiency and the sporty all in one car (maybe even with a back seat!).

#11 ·
we bought ours on autotrader

I had been researching gas mileage and was in the market for a car. I had just read about them and discovered this forum when one popped up on autotrader at a dealer 46 miles from our town. It had come off lease in upstate NY, sat on a dealer's lot for a month, and was bought by Automax in Marlboro and listed on Autotrader. From reading the postings on this forum it was clear that Insight owners absolutely love them so I drove up the next day and put down a deposit. I feel I was VERY lucky to have one come up for sale nearby just at the time I was seriously starting to look for a car. I LOVE the Insight and just wish Honda would start making something similar.

#12 ·
i had a 2 litre Audi which was costing a fortune in fuel - i checked on a UK gov website for the most economical car on sale (Insight!) - looked on autotrader and found one for sale about 80 miles away - the dealer already had someone interested who was coming to view but he never turned up and i got it for £6250 inc 2 years Hondacare warranty (in March 2005). Best investment ever and i never intend to get rid of it unless something more economical comes along (and i will have to wait a long time for that). I bought it with 54k miles and now at 122k miles. Best is 104 mpg commute, worst mileage is about 60mpg

#13 ·
Another Insight went for sale in my area, about 16 miles away. It was only for about 4k, and there were no pictures so I was suspicious, but I went to look for fun anyway. In my head, there are three reasons that this Insight can be on sale for so cheap: IMA light, bad body damage, or that the sellers are just plain od stupid :lol:

We ventured through the cramped, dirty parking lot, absolutely filled with cars. No Insight in sight. I saw the car seat on the ground being cleaned. Then I saw that distinct Insight wheel; it was there. It was awful.

Check Engine, IMA light were on. The car had some minor body damage on the door. Absolutely filthy inside. (imagine a dog living inside a car for two days, minus the poop of course) The hatch barely worked. 200k miles Lmpg was 38!!!!

One of the people there didn't know how the hybrid worked, and I think he said that he thought it was pure electric. Then he went on to say that there's no service for the Honda Insight (like he knew) The only good thing was that I saw it, and that at least the engie ran. I could tell that the car had just been let out to sit in the sun for days, even weeks, in the hot sun here down south. The battery pack must be destroyed by now.

Very sad to see a Honda abused so much :( It would be the perfect car to convert to electric however. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.