Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone near San Diego is welcome to come and say "HI" this Sunday. I was invited to show my 2005 Insight at EarthFair 2006 in Balboa Park. I will be there all day, so come on by!

I am leaving today from WA, hoping to average 91 mpg along the 1370 mile route. Most miles will be on I-84 and I-15, passing Yakima, Pendleton, Baker, Boise, Twin Falls, Ogden, SLC, Cedar City, Mesquite, Las Vegas, Barstow, Ontario, Temecula, Poway, SD. The temps are forecast to be fairly warm, but some headwinds may be lurking.........darn. On this type of drive (for hypermiling) you just LONG for tailwinds.

I am leaving the passengers seat home to save 34 lbs. Tires are inflated to 51 lbs. No front license plate. Car is absolutely clean & highly polished. Removable bug screen is in place over radiator. Have onboard GPS, ScanGauge, police & aircraft scanner, high powered stereo system, video camera instead of outside mirrors, 3 tuna sandwiches, some fresh fruit, and a bag of those pink iced animal cookies!

Will be using FAS, limited or no assist, and moderate steady highway speeds to maximize MPG. Should be fun! ..............

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,888 Posts
trip

Go for it Billy........At least there won't be any snow. 8) Good luck.
Sorry I'll miss you. Am packing up now for the desert run. Will be back late Sun. night. Did you get the PM I sent you?
Will talk with you when I get back.

I like the US 93 run from Twin Falls into Las Vegas. More scenic than the Interstate.

Raring for the meet next weekend.
Have a safe trip..............Willie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone in or around SD, it's a sight to see. Bill has a sweet ride with some nice mods (a rearview camera instead of side mirrors, etc). Earth Day in San Diego is one of the largest and I can see why...they had some interesting booths/concerts. Bill's Insight was looking kind of lonely out there--his is the only one out there (besides the one parked next to my truck in the Zoo lot).

·
Registered
361 Posts
My friends and I were lucky enough to meet Billy... I even asked him for his autograph... what a nice guy! (How often does one get to meet a mileage hero?)

Billy had his hands full at Earth Day, trying to keep throngs of interested people from mauling and drooling over his amazing and impeccable car.

Make sure you see Billy and his car next Sunday in Chino.

One question, Billy... did your gas mileage improve as you ate your three tuna sandwiches? Did you hold the mayo, in order to save weight? <wink>

Best wishes!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SteveO, it was very nice to meet you. No, the tuna sandwiches had a little mayonnaise, but overall weight was slightly reduced as I drive & burn off fuel, and then make a restroom stop.

I just returned to WA via Southwest Airlines; I have to work this week. I left my Insight in SD for 6 days, and will fly back to reclaim it early Sunday a.m. to drive to Chino.

Results are in: 1378 miles (one way) , 14.59 gallons burned. 94.4 mpg, speeds between 52 and 70 mph depending on terrain, wind, etc. Water temp (via ScanGauge) stayed near 197 degrees F, intake air temp about 105 F. After 525 miles of driving, I was at 100.3 mpg. Then the headwinds came, through S. Utah, Nevada, & CA. It was quite a battle to watch the mpg slipping and slipping -- -- very disturbing. With such strong south winds, I guess I was lucky to end up with 94 mpg.

What a whirlwind, busy time at EarthFair! It was all I could do to answer questions, and patrol the young kids trying to put their hands all over the car. Hopefully, many hundreds of people were exposed to the Insight, and technology that, to their surprise, already exists to help reduce our dependance on oil........

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Awesome! Got to get some of those vitamins you use for mileage! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts