Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got Sirius satellite radio. I was wondering if anyone else has satellite radio and what they have done about the magnetic antenna not sticking to the roof? For the time being, I think I am going to attach some velcro on the roof and see how that works. Someone at work suggested some sort of suction cup device. Any ideas appreciated.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
how about not mounting an antenna outside the car at all? Some (not Insights) have reported not needing it mounted externally. My first choice would be to use a coupler box, thereby tapping into your stock radio cable & antenna. Billy....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have Sirius in my Insight. I almost got in to an argument with the Best Buy sales guy who was trying to tell me the magnetic antenna would stick to the alluminum roof. I contacted Sirius to see what they said, which was if using tape to hold it down I'd need a mylar strip to properly ground it to the body. I proceeded anyways without. I got some 3M side molding adhesive tape (pricey, but it holds forever) and put some pieces on the bottom side of the antenna then carefully cut off the excess with a razor blade so it looks good. I then lined it up with the radio antenna and stuck it directly behind the radio antenna on the glass. You would basically safrafice any use of your rear wiper nozzel, but I never ever use it anyways, and I wasn't about to mount anything that wasn't absolutely necessary on my precious paint.

Anyways, I ran the wire under the hatch window and then up under the weather seals. I have the brain mounted in the styrafoam block where the factory CD changer would go, which I hollowed out to fit the brain unit in. Then under the rear carpet is a channel that the CD changer wiring would run through. Then the wire goes under the side trim by the seat and under the scuff guard plastic piece (where there's another wire channel thats unused), up under the dash and over to the deck.

Hope this helps, the 3M molding adhesive tape can be found at auto paint and body shops. And you can also try mounting the antenna inside the car as well first.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick, that's pretty much how I mounted the antenna, at least temporarily, but with all weather velcro rather than 3M tape. I tried it inside the car, but I kept losing the signal. Haven't figured just where to put the radio quite yet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too have Sirius, but in my Element. I thought about this issue if I wanted to move the receiver to my Insight. Are there tapes available that are infused or made with steel? One could cut the strip into the shape of the antenna magnet and stick it to the back glass.

Addenum: One word: Epoxy!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Just use molding tape and don't worry about the magnet. The only time I loose the signal is when I drive under large freeway overpasses, which is wierd because I can drive through the tunnel under downtown Phoenix and it usually keeps the signal.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick said:
Just use molding tape and don't worry about the magnet. The only time I loose the signal is when I drive under large freeway overpasses, which is wierd because I can drive through the tunnel under downtown Phoenix and it usually keeps the signal.
I just made a 500 mile round trip and the velcro worked great. If the tape makes a mess on the window, I figure I can easily remove the mess with Goo Be Gone or something. Just like you, I only lost the signal under overpasses. Mine is a plug and play with FM transmitter, so I need to be able to remove it and the antenna without a big hassle, unless I want to buy another kit and antenna. I just mounted the base to the dash (it had tape on the bottom) and ran the antenna wire between the seats. I have to use a little tape or something to keep the wire out of my way when I'm shifting, but the radio and antenna are easy to remove if I want to use it in the house or at work. Now let's see how long the velcro stays on the window.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'll be waiting to hear how long the velcro holds out. I had a couple little spots of velcro in my rear window so I could hold a second reflective bubble cover in the hatch window durring the summer, but once it got hot enough the glue just failed.

BTW, for removing any glue without chemicals they make plastic razor blades. All you have to do is heat up the glue and scrape with the plastic razor blade, and they won't scratch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just taped mine to the dashboard and rarely have any problems with the signal. I think the signal goes through the aluminum better than it would a steel car, but that's just a guess. It doesn't look great, but it doesn't permanently alter the car, so I prefer it that way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I solved this issue with XM by taping a fairly strong magnet (pulled from an old hard drive) in the upper right hand corner of the back window. Then the xm antenna will stick to the window. I've had pretty good luck with signal quality doing this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rick said:
Rick, sorry to hijack, but I thought i'd give you an explanation for the tunnel & you keeping reception.

In most large cities, Sirius has "terrestrial repeaters" for their signal. This means that they take the satellite signal & broadcast it over radio frequencies. They do this because in downtowns of most cities there are tall buildings, bridges & tunnels that will block the LOS (line of sight) to the satellites & trying to get any sort of signal in those areas would be really tough. The sirius antenna is actually 2 antennae built into one, a satellite & terrestrial. It automatically switiches to the strongest signal.

Next time you're downtown, go to the antenna aiming menu and check the signal strengths. You should see 2 bars, one for satellite & one for terrestrial.

(back on topic): I think I'm going to try out that hard drive magnet trick when I take delivery of my Insight some time next week. I'll let you all know how it worked.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No that makes perfect sense. I could have swore I read somewhere that XM did the local antenna thing and Sirius did not, but it was a long time ago when I was looking in to it. Actually yesterday I was driving through that tunnel durring rush hour and it was going really slow and for the first time I lost the signal for a second then it came back but I could tell it was having a hard time keeping it because it was noticably digitized. I'll have to look and see if I have a signal meter on my unit, I don't recall ever seeing one. I'm using a Kenwood deck with the Sirius brain unit hooked up to it.

And to date my 3M molding adhesive tape is still holding strong to the glass. I gave it a decent pull to see if it was still holding strong and I think it would take a screw driver and some care to pull it off.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rick said:
And to date my 3M molding adhesive tape is still holding strong to the glass. I gave it a decent pull to see if it was still holding strong and I think it would take a screw driver and some care to pull it off.
My all-weather velcro is also still holding strong through several car washes, snow storms, and rains. I am at some point going to try the magnet on the window that ScottH described and see how that works because the velcro is pretty thick and I don't really like the way it looks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
A Thought...

Instead of a hard-drive magnet for your sat-radio antenna, pet shops sell aquarium-glass-cleaning gadgets for a few bucks that have two magnets, one with a plastic handle. The outside one is covered with felt (to make it easy to glide the thing along the glass on the outside of the aquarium), and the other has a rough texture or even razor blades to scrape algae off the inside of the glass. The handled magnet is seriously strong, and would probably work as a removable/no-trace-left anchor for the inside of your glass on the Insight. As I said... just a Thought... :lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: A Thought...

boogetyboogety said:
Instead of a hard-drive magnet for your sat-radio antenna, pet shops sell aquarium-glass-cleaning gadgets for a few bucks that have two magnets, one with a plastic handle. The outside one is covered with felt (to make it easy to glide the thing along the glass on the outside of the aquarium), and the other has a rough texture or even razor blades to scrape algae off the inside of the glass. The handled magnet is seriously strong, and would probably work as a removable/no-trace-left anchor for the inside of your glass on the Insight. As I said... just a Thought... :lol:
That's a GREAT thought... One of my good friends has a massive salt water aquarium & has one of those cleaners.. I'll have to try it out & see how it works. "try before you buy" :D

Then again.. I really should have an insight before I begin worrying about that kind of stuff. :) Only a few more days to go before I take delivery.. WOOT WOOT.

If anyone wants to take a look at these contraptions...check it out: http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_mai ... ?ast=&key=

·
Registered
338 Posts
bc said:
I just taped mine to the dashboard and rarely have any problems with the signal. I think the signal goes through the aluminum better than it would a steel car, but that's just a guess. It doesn't look great, but it doesn't permanently alter the car, so I prefer it that way.
couldn't have said it better!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't think it makes too much of a difference what type of metal, it should interfere just as much.

The XM signal seems to be fairly strong though, as it works in my garage, and at the office when I stick it next to the window with metal mini blinds.

And while I like my hard drive magnet, you could also probably find a small rare earth magnet to do the same.

I wonder if you could slip a magnet under the headliner, and mount it like a 'normal' car.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it's been six and a half months and the all weather velcro is still holding firm. It's been through snow, rain, freezing cold, blistering heat, and car washes, but it's still holding :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
ScottH said:
I solved this issue with XM by taping a fairly strong magnet (pulled from an old hard drive) in the upper right hand corner of the back window. Then the xm antenna will stick to the window. I've had pretty good luck with signal quality doing this.
That's a very interesting idea, but how can that work with the magnetic micro antenna that comes with XM's Roady2? Wouldn't the magnets from the hard drive and the antenna repel each other? I was thinking more along the lines of getting one of those pieces of metal that are used to attach rear view mirrors to windshields, supergluing that to the back window, and then mounting the magnetic antenna on that.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Magnets have two poles, normally shown as a [+] and a [-] symbol in your schoolbooks. So, [-] and [-], and [+] and [+] combinations do repel, but [+] and [-] attract, so if one end repels, the other will adhere. Flip the magnet orientation and... No worries, mate. :wink:

Just curious... are those mirror mount metal pieces magnetic? I seem to recall they are made of some aluminum-like alloy in one of my vehicles(the mirror on my Big *** Van fell off, which was good for me... it was set too low on the windshield for my taste, so I reinstalled it a bit higher)... :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts