Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: my commute of late has been mostly very short run (5 miles or less) drives on suburban/college campus roads. Lots of stop signs, lights, speed bumps, often I'm going less than 15mph. Not ideal for my 5spd and my battery SOC is usually around 50%. Last night I did a long drive up to Portland and back, and the hidden regen had me back up to 1 bar shy of full before I had even reached the turnaround point. Nice! Cruised the rest of the way home and got outstanding mileage on the short trip to work today.

Then the regen hit me, today, as I was crossing a major road with fast-moving oncoming traffic. Put it in 1st, and the car almost stalled at the halfway point. I mashed the pedal and made it with room to spare but it was a little freaky. It wasn't until I made it across that I took a look at the battery SOC and saw it 1 bar above 0. Yikes!

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
That situation is exactly how I get recals. My usual SOC is usually about 50% and I drive in the city.

When I drive on the highway (very occasionnally), the SOC goes near to full. Once I get into the city again, after a long red light (long auto-stop), I get a recal.

If on other occasions, I drive fast on the highway or there is a stong head wind, the SOC does not go up. Once in the city, the SOC is still near 50% and I do not get recal on long red light, auto-stop.

It was not like that in the first years. This is a new behavior of this year. I get it repeatably (I did a test for someone on Yahoo Hybrid group). I can get a recal at will.

But I naturally drive in such a manner that I do not get recals. I know that if I was driving for high MPG, I would recal very often.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I work about 5 to 10 miles from home with traffic lights, stop signs and school zones... low speeds... and I usually had about 50% on the IMA, but when I was going to college i drove 25 highway miles one way. I usually had about 50% IMA leaving the house and i would have a full charge a few miles down the highway all the way to college, and somewhere between then and on my way home the IMA would recall and drop to 0%. It just kept doing it more and more often to the point where it would do it 2 to 3 times daily going to school dropping dead every time it reached a full charge and I have been getting appx. 45 mpg all summer while using A/C. Honda just replaced my IMA battery under warranty last week, ever since i have been averaging over 60 mpg without A/C and climbing (currently 63.6 mpg) and I constantly have a full charge on the IMA never going below 3/4 charge. I hope to post info on my warranty replacement soon, just need to find time to add pics, etc...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pardon me for asking!, what is recals ?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
From Tim:
Recalibrations are explained here:
http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-no ... eroBattery

and see this helpful posting:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

Check this recent tread:
"It is when the display of the State Of Charge (SOC) goes from anywhere, to 1 bar in about 3 seconds
e.g. from half full to empty"
at http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... c&start=20

BUT (as per Friday 13, black cat, ladder,...) if I were you and since you do not know what it is, I would not check it out. Maybe your battery will be OK for a longer time than ours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
warrenty

Does the 80,000 mile, 8 year? warrenty on the battery pack apply to 2000 Insights? I have only had mine since March, I could not find a mention of an extended warrenty in the original window sticker or warrenty book.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes 8 80 applies to all Honda Hybrid vehicles for batteries.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks Yves.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had another recalibration today, again after extended highway driving had the SOC display up to near-full. This time it didn't happen while I was trying to cross traffic.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Do you guys drive in such a way that the SOC is normally about 50%?
Everyday it's 50% more often then almost full?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Short answer: yes, most often around 50%.

Long answer: I drive to work and back 2x a day, under 5 miles one way, so 20 miles total each day. Combination of hills, stoplights, speeds never over 45mph, and often under 15mph going over campus speedbumps. My MPG has suffered during this typical commute. When I get the car out on the open road I recover my old cruising at 75 mpg behavior, and the SOC goes up. Then it subsequently falls in a recal when I resume my commute the next day, usually by the afternoon (10 miles into my daily drive).

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
So there is definatly a patern here.

If the SOC does not go close to full, the battery manager seems to be more flexible. and figures the SOC can be correct.

If the SOC is closer to full, the battery manger thinks that the battery has the 'original' total capacity, as soon as the battery has a little use, the charge drops faster than expected by the BCM, and then executes the recal.

I am sure that it is the total capacity of the battery that is reduced with the years, and that the BCM does not correct itself to allow this wear.
Because if the SOC is lower, than I can drive with assist/charge without problems (recals)

Again, I am just lucky not to do highway drives.

ADDITION:
In the Yahoo Insight web site, message 21339, I had done a recal producing test, it is reproducable everytime:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hon ... sage/21339

1 - 12 of 12 Posts