Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Mod notes: Split from: Lumbar support, mileage discrepancy, car covers, & more. With thanks to Normand and RobMason for their work in outlining the modification]

I have installed a Schukra lumbar support that i intergrated into the back of seat, looks original and has the knob on the side of seat to adjust the tension. Sweet mod.... and very good for my back! the cost was about $35.00 if i remember correctly. Took 60min. to install.
for info: http://www.schukra.com/prd_manual1.html

I recently had change to purchase a genuine Recaro Style seat, waiting for the bracket from wedge enginnering before i install.

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/ima ... le_big.jpg
[mod edit: Removed img function for oversized pic. Please show consideration for our dial-up members]

Sorry about that, did'nt think.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just drop them a phone call,

Schukra of North America
Head Office & Manufacturing
360 Silver Creek Industrial Drive
R.R. #1 Tecumseh
Lakeshore, Ontario Canada N8N 4Y3

Telephone: 1-519-727-7000
Facsimile: 1-519-727-4175
Email: [email protected]

Click on the link for pics.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/717824/2

·
Registered
68 Posts
Schukra lumbar support

The Schukra lumbar support system looks great. I just placed an order for 2 units (driver seat & passenger seat). I will report on the results after installation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Schukra lumbar support

John & fellow Insighters,
The Schukra company referred me to a retailer called Pacific Restyling Products Ltd based in Vancouver, BC Canada. A very knowlegeable fellow named Steven assisted me. Their toll free number is 888-821-1066. It turns out Schukra makes numerous support systems, some are very sophisticated electric driven systems, at least 2 different sizes, and systems for passenger and drivers seat. Here is a link to their site. http://www.nwseatcovers.com/lumbar.html Steven said the tall manual system is the one I should get. http://www.schukra.com/prd_manual.html
I don't anticipate doing many adjustments once it is installed in the seat at the correct height etc. I purchased a driver's side and a passenger's side system, each for about $88 or so, plus shipping. To date they have not arrived, but I expect them this week. I plan on having them installed into Sliver by my ulphostery guy after they arrive. I will build up the seat base similar to the driver's seat in Blue Suppository.
It turns out the retailer carries custom leather seat covers, and I am going to see if any colors are a match for Insight "beige" interior color. The color that is a match from Katzkin is "Puddy". See picture.

I will post the pictures when completed. Steve says the installation is not difficult, however taking seat covers off and reinstalling them can be tedious espcially new seat covers.
OFF topic question. bfivelover, what grade Mobil 1 are you using?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Schukra Back System

Normand. Thanks for the link to your installed Schukra lumbar system. It is a nice shot showing how you installed yours, and helped my guy figure out how it goes in. I can't believe these are only $88, tho it appears you got yours for much less. Still the inflatable bladder from Katzkin is $100. I think the Tall Manual version is a little different from the one in your picture. I will be doing a custom "seating" when the seat base is finished, so as to get the height just right. BTW, mine are TSA approved as they must have not been able to figure out what the device was and must have opened it as there was green tape enclosing the box saying "Cleared by TSA" :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rob,
nice to see you followed up with Schukra system.
About the support, i did cut the upper part so it would fit into the seat more properly, that is probably why you tought i had a different model.

Also, not to scrub on the foam, i inserted a plastic film in between.

Please follow up when your installation is done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Schukra

Normand, Aha, I see. I have placed the device about where you did and don't see any conflict with leaving the top support in place. Can you recall the issue you had? Edit: I just looked at the pic again and see that the foam from the front of the seat may contact the upper cross piece, correct?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob,
The model i installed had the vertical rail of metal too tall, in order to fit in the recessed part of foam, i had to cut the eccess height of the support. I think the pictures shows this but looking at the picture again, i could of left it intak, at the time of installation it seem's to me a good option to have the support as close as possible to the seat so i cut he upper part to have it snug. I could take additionnal photos if you wish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Seat modification

Normand & Insighters,
I was able to mount the Schukra lumbar support in a place low enough so as not to interfere at the top. This has to be the most comfortable mod to date. I like it so much I have ordered another pair for the Katzkin covered seats in my Blue Insight. I will post pics of the step by step process when they arrive, since the seats in the Silver car are already set in place. .... 1st we firmed up the seat base by putting 2 squares of 3/8" jute material between the springs in the seat bottom and the foam bottom; then 1/2 inch medium density foam upon the upper surface (2 custom made foam pieces needed to create a space or slit for attaching the base covers). That made the seat much firmer (no sag) and raises the seat height up without playing around with the attachment bolts/rails etc. Arguably there is not as much of a "bucket" for you 1+ G turning autocrossers, but then I do not feel like I am sitting on the floor of the vehicle. 2nd, we installed the Schukra device, a la Normand (no cutting of the device required), glued a square of 3/8" jute material to the back of the foam seat in front of the lumbar system; installed the actuator knobs on the sides of the seats, and the seats now are worthy of being called excellant seats. Firmer in the seat (no sagging), and lumbar support like you would not believe. HIghly recommeded. Pictures of the installed seats do not do justice to how they feel. Cost of labor, extra materials ~ $165 per seat (4 seats). This could be done by a do it UrselfR, but sure was nice to have an expert installer do it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rob, i'm very happy that you like this as much as i do.
It is indeed a very nice feature to add and when done properly, look's factory made :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Schukra

Normand, Thanks for paving the way...Here are some pics, 1st one is of Schukra deactivated (down),

, ...and the next one of the Schukra activated (all the way up),

, ... Having the device to "full" support is actually too much for comfort, so somewhere in between is the comfort zone. Note the knob looks factory, and the seat base is fuller looking and slightly higher than stock. Hard to capture feel on images. Will post actual procedure pics when new ones arrive for Blue Insight....Also here are some shots of the back of the seat, ... 1. Schukra down ,

, and Schukra up ,

, Details regarding installation include use of 2 "set" screws in the lower cross rail and 2 "pop" rivets in the upper part of the device. Had to use these since the small wheels of the upper part of the actuating mechanism need to roll smoothly along the rail surfaces, which protruding screws would have prevented. Also note rear seat springs are removed, custom cross piece has been placed, actuator mounted in a stock hole which happened to be in perfect position, and the gray jute material glued to back of seat foam to protect seat. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob,
Fantastic installation, nicely done, this should be sent to Honda for standard item in next Insight.

Looking at your pic's, there was no reason for me cutting the upper part !!!!
Well, that is what happens somtimes with do it youselfer :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts