Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a few places on my rims where I’ve rubbed against the curb and roughed up the surface of the rims. I’ve also got a couple of places where the protective “paint” on the rims has flaked off.

Now, I’m getting oxidation and discoloration of the aluminum where there is bare metal.

Any suggestions on how to clean and seal?

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Im having similar issues... but as aluminum cant really oxidize, your not going to see your rims "rust through" or anything. Unless you hate the way it looks... It's not a huge concern of mine anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not concerned about it rusting through. I'm concerned about the way it looks and wanting to stop it before it gets worse. The discoloration seems to be spreading.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The great thing about Aluminum is when it does oxidize, it seals itself and stops the process. I'd use fine grade sandpaper then clear coat the surface to seal it (just like the manufacture does it).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
There's really not a whole lot you could do yourself. If you wanted find a wheel repair place in town. they'll have to strip it down and resurface the face of the wheel then re-clear it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I used to do this to my motorcycle wheels all the time when the clear coat came off. Do as I suggested above, it works.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Its true you can touch-up the corroded spots, but without quite a bit of skill, time and patience you'll just be trading blemishes.

Talk to some local body shops for estimates.Repainting using color instead of clear will likely be lower cost.

HTH! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts