Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some rust under the passenger side scuff plate on my 2001 CVT. This is the trim part at the bottom of the door opening. There is a rubber seal under that plate. It is cut on the side and the metal in it is rusting. I also notice the same rubber on the driver's side is cut. It looks like the scuff plate edge is cutting the rubber or the rubber is just splitting on its own.

I plan on taking the car to a dealership and see what they can do. I assume it will be covered under warranty.

Could someone else look at their scuff plate? You have to lift the outside edge a little to see the rubber seal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Checked my rubber seal and did not see any cutting. I have noticed that the little "channel" in the seal tends to collect dirt, when washing the car now I remove the scuff plates and clean it out. Maybe remove the plate and check if it has any sharp edges on it? Although you may want to have the dealer look at it first just so they don't say that by removing the plate you damaged the seal somehow.

Would be interesting to see what is rusting. I thought under the seal was just the aluminum body, maybe the seal has a steel strip in it?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that seal does have metal in it. I am not talking about the weatherstriping door seal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ahh, that other plastic plate outside of the door seal? I can't see a rubber seal under mine, not to say there isn't one, but I just don't see anything under the plate. :?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The scuff plate is not outside the door seal. It is the flat plastic part where your shoes would touch or "Scuff", in the door opening. Lift the scuff plate off and you will see the rubber I am talking about. The plate just snaps off and it will snap right back in place.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here is my scuff plate removed: http://www.qagh.com/insight/images/IMG_1366_s.jpg

At the top of the image is the under-side of the scuff plate, it has 2 blue clips sticking out of it. Below that is the place that the scuff plate normally occupies, you can see the 2 holes that the blue clips fit into as well as the door seal and the channel in it. The picture is somewhat dark, but the next piece down is the plate I mentioned in my second post. I'm affraid I do not see the seal you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, you are looking right at it in that picture. Stand outside the car and lean down to look at it horizontally. I assume from the picture that is your passenger side? Look at the outer edge on the side. On mine the rubber part is cut. I will try to get a picture to post.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here you go:

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/showph ... hoto=11495

Inside there is metal and you can see the rusted area. The seal goes all around the door opening. This is one of several spots on that side that is cutting, not sure why. The driver's side is also starting to cut. Not so sure you could call it cutting as nothing seems to be doing that to it. So while it looks like a cut, it's probably more like the rubber is torn.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So it is a cut in the door seal. It looks like a very clean cut (at least in the photo), that would make me think it would either have been cut by a blade or is a split on a sharp angle. If it were just the scuff plate rubbing on the seal, it should have had worn down area. Is the metal in the seal sticking out?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is what I was thinking but if you look forward of that split there is another area on the seal doing the same thing. And on the driver's side it is splitting but not as bad. Remember the scuff plate covers this part of the rubber seal, so I'm not sure what would cut it.

The metal in the seal doesn't stick out or appears to be the cause but you never know.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I finally had Honda replace both door seals. I'm also going to have them replace the outside rubber for the drivers door window, as it seems to be degrading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts