Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger seat belt on one of my insight was stuck (unable to pull it out). So I removed it and noticed the warnings (explosive) on it. So I looked around the internets and owner's manual and I read that there is a lifetime warranty on Honda seat belts. So I took the seat belt to my nearest Honda dealer (Dean) and asked about replacing it. The service manager said that it would be $56 to diagnose it. I said that I read that there is a lifetime warranty for Honda seat belts. He said that the warranty is no longer valid since I took out the seat belt. So I said never mind, I'll take a good one out of an old Insight that I no longer drive. So I went to the "parts" car and tested it (pulled it out and let it retract). Then I took it out, which is pretty easy except for the bottom bolt. Once I had it out of the car, I pulled on the belt and it would no longer come out. I was baffled. I thought that it might have to be electrically connected in order to pull out, so I re-connected the yellow connector (may be called a "squib"?) and tried to pull it out the belt, but it still wouldn't. I went back to the Honda dealer and asked if I could ask a mechanic a question. The service manager took me back to a mechanic and I explained what I did. He told me that there is a sensor in there that will only let the seat belt release if it is in the upright position exactly as it sits in the car! He said if you put it back in the car that it should work. So I held the tensioner box thing in the upright position and tugged on it and it released. It has to be in a VERY precise position in order to release. I suspect that this is so that it will hold a passenger if the car starts to rollover. Can you think of any other reason why the tensioner box has to be upright in order to release? I've looked around the internets and not found an answer. I will put it in sometime next week and let you know if it works.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
That sounds like a reasonable explanation. It's a safety thing.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
There is ball bearing inside the sensor and if it's just a little off vertical, a stopper will slide out when you pull on the belt stopping it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts