Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The interior of my project car is nice other than the driver's side seat bolster. I ran a WTB ad both here and on the Insight, FB group for a new seat back cover and also responded to 4 or 5 ads for people parting out early G1 Insight's. The only top cover I found was from one seller parting a car and he wanted $140 just for a used seat back cover, this was not going to happen, I'm not putting together a show car.

I pulled the old cover off to see what could be done, the cover had a large ragged hole in it and a good chunk of foam was missing from the bolster. I filled most of the missing area in the foam with silicon and use polyester fiberfill to bring it up to more or less the original now falsey shape. I bought some gray fabric from Walmart and sewed in a patch on the cover, this looked not so great (see photo) so on to plan B. I decided to sacrifice the map pocket on the back of the passenger seat to get some matching fabric for another patch (photo). This patch for me is at least acceptable for now until maybe I can find a good OEM cover. Note: a small half-round hooked upholstery needle from Walmart did the trick for sewing the second patch on with the cover in place.

Tim
Automotive design Car Car seat cover Grey Vehicle door

Land vehicle Vehicle Chair Automotive design Car

·
Registered
67 Posts
The interior of my project car is nice other than the driver's side seat bolster. I ran a WTB ad both here and on the Insight, FB group for a new seat back cover and also responded to 4 or 5 ads for people parting out early G1 Insight's. The only top cover I found was from one seller parting a car and he wanted $140 just for a used seat back cover, this was not going to happen, I'm not putting together a show car.

I pulled the old cover off to see what could be done, the cover had a large ragged hole in it and a good chunk of foam was missing from the bolster. I filled most of the missing area in the foam with silicon and use polyester fiberfill to bring it up to more or less the original now falsey shape. I bought some gray fabric from Walmart and sewed in a patch on the cover, this looked not so great (see photo) so on to plan B. I decided to sacrifice the map pocket on the back of the passenger seat to get some matching fabric for another patch (photo). This patch for me is at least acceptable for now until maybe I can find a good OEM cover. Note: a small half-round hooked upholstery needle from Walmart did the trick for sewing the second patch on with the cover in place.

Tim
View attachment 92275
View attachment 92276
Not sure what area you are in; however, if you happen to have a Pick-N-Pull nearby they may have a Gen 1 you can harvest the passenger side seat cover from. You probably know it works fine for the drivers seat too. There are two Gen 1 cars at a Sacramento CA area PNP.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Good idea, I've heard of others doing the same with the back fabric or making an entire new piece for a front out of a bad top piece. I searched long and hard for good seat covers and was able to find them for around $40-$50 each in decent shape, but that's after tons of looking on CL, here, eBay, and FB, and picking through the junk. Keep looking, you'll find a good one, and a passenger top will fit a drive top so keep that in mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts