Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is my first Post. I recently bought an insight and love it. I live in Colorado and go skiing a lot on the weekends. I was wondering if anyone had an idea on a ski rack. I have already driven the car up the mountains and it does OK. Not great but what can you expect. The strangest thing that came of driving the car in the mountains is the battery was compleately used up. When this happens you are just running on the 3 cylinder engine. It was not as horrible as I thought it was going to be. Anyway, I am looking for a lead on a ski rack.

I am also looking for seat covers. Has anyone bought the generic bucket seat covers? If so how do they fit? Does anyone have a good link to unique seat covers that would fit into my insight?

Peace,
EG

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I am happy with some covers I got at pep boys for about 20 bucks each. I've washed them, and they held up fine.

You can see pictures at my web site (see sig).

If you find you are running your battery down too much on hills, drive in a lower gear to use more gas and less battery for the uphill.

The first time I drove up the Cuesta grade in an Insight, I got to the top with no battery at all left even after part way up. Now that I have driven for a long time, I can get to the top with a full battery, a partial battery charge, or none at all just based on my choice of speeds and gears on the way up.

You can go pretty fast in 2nd (actually around 70 mph at redline), and all the way to the speed limiter in 3rd and the engine won't blow up. Hondas are designed for high rpms, so if you are on a hill you don't have to lug all the way with the battery... Don't drive 70 mph in 2nd all the way up the hill, but don't be shy about it either. Just experiment.

You will find that your battery life will probably be longer, and your mileage may even be better because you've got to charge up what you used on the way up, and if you aren't in lean-burn and crusing, then charging is not as efficient. Mountain driving is not the same as regular driving.

Too low rpms on the uphill, and the gas you are using isn't being used as efficiently as when you are in the power band. There has been discussion of this already, so I'll stop here...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Window Mount Rack...

I have a Barrecrafters Window Mount rack that I have used since I bought my Insight in 2001. It basically hangs over the side window and uses a suction cup to secure it to the window. I have made countless trips from Illinois to Colorado with this set-up and have never had any problems. One issue you will need to address is weatherstriping. Because the rack is essentially sandwiched between the top edge of the window and the door frame you will need to add some weather stripping to avoid wind noise. It holds two pairs of skis and can be mounted or removed in seconds. Here's a link to where I bought mine... very reasonable price.

http://www.prolineracks.com/barrecrafte ... racks.html

·
Registered
224 Posts
With regard to your question about transporting skis, last winter, my son and I had 5 pairs of various touring, skating, and telemark skis inside of the Insight. Theses types tend to be longer than alpine skis.
There was only minor inconvenience for the passenger, who is taller than me.

'Sorry I don't have a picture of all those skis in the car (next time I think we'll only bring 2 or 3 pair). However, I would advocate keeping things inside the car and out of the weather whenever possible. This also retains the remarkable aerodynamics and resulting fuel economy of the Insight :)

http://photos11.flickr.com/13479835_fae51d364c.jpg

HTH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great info. I will try the new driving technique in the mountains. I am not only trying to learn how to drive an insight but I have never driven an manual bofore. The learning curve has been a little steep. I will look at those links for racks. Right now I just throw my skis in the back but if I take another person the dog is going to have to sit in the back. Thanks again.
Peace,
EG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts