Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone may have entertained the viability of a second Cat Delete? Could a bypass pipe be used? Some areas don't require a smog inspection so that could make it more possible. In addition the second Cat is more exposed to theft. THANKS for any information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why do you want to remove the cat?

Tbh if there's no sensor after it, you could probably remove it. I wouldn't advise it tho. Better to block it off with a tray underneath to prevent theft

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just curious if anyone may have entertained the viability of a second Cat Delete? Could a bypass pipe be used? Some areas don't require a smog inspection so that could make it more possible. In addition the second Cat is more exposed to theft. THANKS for any information.
It's hard to say much on this topic. But, I have a 2000 m/t and I see no problem with gutting a crappy cat. None at all. I think if there was anything wrong with it that that might be the second 02 sensor is a little finicky when you do that. There might be a work around. You'd have to dig for that info.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
I have absolutely no moral issue touching on this subject. Almost every single insight I own has it's cats gutted out. When no manufacturer can make replacement cats due to bureaucracy, and my car physically cannot function due to the cats falling apart internally, I have no option but to remove them in order to keep my vehicle on the road. If there was an aftermarket option available for a reasonable price (such as 150$ that my brother paid for his accord cat) I would absolutely replace them. As for codes, spacers on the rear o2's will keep the CEL away and allow it to pass smog. You just gotta make a friend in the smog field who will ignore visuals.

Reactions: midwestinsight

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've seen a sudden 10 mpg increase in my car. No clue what could have caused that. But I do have check engine light for that O2 sensor. If that's not better for the environment than at least it makes my wallet greener.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for the great info. I concur, even from a purely environmental assessment... thinking of the G1 highly efficient use of fuel, and the absolute silliness of destroying such a manufacturing masterpiece for lack of a reasonable cost option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts