Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the front of the car there are two fans.

There is the big fan the behind the AC condensor unit which pulls air over the radiator (and the AC condensor).

There is a smaller fan which is on the Passenger side (US) and pulls air over that end of the condensor and into the engine compartment area.

I figure this is for AC only, and never comes on for the purpose of cooling the engine or engine components.

As an indication that this is true, I turn the AC on by setting 60 degrees, and that fan goes on, I turn off AC, and it goes off.

Is this the ONLY time that this fan is used - for MAX AC?

If so, then as far as the winterizing thread goes, and cardboard placement, and risk to overheat etc. etc. - it would seem that placing cardboard over this section of the AC condensor (not over the radiator) would have less ill effects.

However, even in winter it runs the AC for defrosting.

Could there be any problem with winterizing cardboard over this fan if it runs it for AC during defrosting?

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just checked, this fan also runs when the defrost mode is turned on.

Does anyone see any problems that this is going on, if they put cardboard over that area for cold weather driving?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Take a look at my web page. I tape off the air intake on the front bumper and also block air flow in the area under the hood.

This blocks the at highway speed air flow yet will allow air flow once the fans turns on, if needed.

A side benefit is possible better aerodynamics.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Take a look at my web page. I tape off the air intake on the front bumper and also block air flow in the area under the hood.

This blocks the at highway speed air flow yet will allow air flow once the fans turns on, if needed.

A side benefit is possible better aerodynamics.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blocking lower front air inflow

Your suggestion of blocking the air intake at the source, rather than trying to divert it after it is already penetrating the hood cavity, made a huge amount of sense to me.

Plus, as you suggest, if the fan does go on, there is still some decent ability for it to pull air rather than having the air block so close to the fan (with cardboard etc.).

So...

I wanted an easily removable (on for PM, off in daytime when it is warm) solution for this and ended up using some leftover foam matting I had around. This stuff is stiff and resilient. The mats are about 3/4 inch thick interlocking foam (2' x 2') pieces for gym floors etc. which I got at Home Depot a few years ago.

It is really lightweight, and I just trimmed it to size and pushed it into the lower air entry port. It sticks in really tightly, it is black so it looks decent, and it pops out in about 3 seconds.

I recommend this stuff or something similar for anyone wanting a solution which can be taken on and off over and over again in a few seconds.

:D
The proof was in the pudding...

It was again cool, and I went out on my 50 mph intersection free road area, and gave it the test. Without it, I barely got 70-75 mpg in 30 degree tests. In the day at about 70 degrees I had gotten 95 mpg. To my delight, I got 98 mpg on the same road at the same speed. I actually beat the daytime mpg a bit for this test (approx 5-6-8 miles of gentle up and down on a good road surface at 50 mph the whole way).

On the way back I took the freeway at about 65 mph, where it the day on that route and speed I got 85 mpg and at night about 60 mpg before. Unfortunately, at that higher speed there was still enough airflow to keep lean burn infrequent.

Next step, devise an equally nifty way to stop up a portion of the top air intake area at the very front of the hood.

I am a firm believer now in this method!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had though about using thick clear tape 10" wide and running that across the intake. But that would require new tape every time the weather changed - which is alot in Georgia.

I've got my obdII software and I'll be montering the coolant temps to see at what outside temp is the factor.

I'll look into the foam at Home Depot..

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cakely:

___The Clear tape idea sounds like a great one to block off the lower intake. If its warm enough tomorrow, I will wash the Little Red Beauty and tape it off … A side benefit is in helping the Insight’s aerodynamics as well as the heat retention of our ICE’s. I just wonder how resilient to road debris the tape is going to be. Its tough but once a stone goes through it … Well, you know what I mean.

___Figgy, does the foam installation stay put without any tape or clamps? Any pic’s?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2koz2wjs][email protected][/email:2koz2wjs]

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Foam blocker

I cut it oversized, and them pared it down gradually until it wedges in tightly but doesn't bow out too much and risk popping out from its own compression pressure.

There is also some helpful lip under which is catches on part of the area it blocks.

So far I've not seen any sign of it coming out. I've gone about 70 mph, but not much faster with it.

I am also testing out using the same stuff to restrict air flow through the top vent area (just under the hood where it closes). More on that later...

It is flexible yet firm, as it was designed to be a hard wearing but resilient floor covering.

The benefits I see are that I can take it off at any time, or put it on again just as easily and it won't leave adhesive or marks. However, I think the wide tape is a wee bit better for aerodynamics because it will be in the same plane as the bumper area vs. inset a bit.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded tomorrow.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If found this tape-- Looks like a good price but I sure don't need 36yds :shock: Front bumper would only need a 4-5' strip.

Hi,
THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO QUOTE ON YOUR TAPE
MOST ITEMS ARE IN STOCK FOR IMMEDIATE SHIPMENT
Item(s):ONE roll, 10" x 36yds HD HI TACK clear polyethylene tape # LDPE-9R @ $25.99
Shipping (in the 48 states) $8.01
Total due $34.00
Include STREET ADDRESS with payment as all shipments are via UPS, unless prior
arrangements are made.
We accept PAY PAL thru email address: [email protected] or [email protected]

This person sells on ebay. You can do a google search for "ldepe-9r" looks like the tape would be strong enough.

My next thought would be a thin sheet of lexan. A heat gun can mold the lexan to the insight bumper. They only down side would be possible rubbing/paint damage.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cakely:

___Can’t you purchase this 10” wide tape from Home Depot in much smaller quantities? I am going to use some 3” clear polyethylene tape (I don’t know how heavy duty it is in comparison however) later on this afternoon myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:eek:ixggf4t][email protected][/email:eek:ixggf4t]

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Cakely:

___I just cleaned off the front bumper fascia and taped up the entire opening w/ 1.5” clear polyethylene tape. I will let you know how it holds up as I have a 300 miler to drive in the next 24 hours.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2m2k9wfl][email protected][/email:2m2k9wfl]

·
Registered
243 Posts
figgy said:
However, even in winter it runs the AC for defrosting.

Could there be any problem with winterizing cardboard over this fan if it runs it for AC during defrosting?

Thoughts?
It runs the AC in the winter to remove moisture from the air. Dry air works better than humid air in keeping frost and condensation from forming on your windows.

So why would you want to impair the functioning of your AC system? The more air and the colder the air that flows through your condenser (the AC's "radiator") the better. A hot condensor does not necessarily help in getting the engine's coolant temps up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts