Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second Insight is for sale in my area! Thinking of buying it, cause I missed the first one!

About half-year ago I was about to buy a silver Insight for 8000$, but when I got the money it was sold :(
I was very disappointed with that!

But now I found one more Insight for sale (it is VERY rare in Russia since it is not officially imported).

this one is red Insight 2001 CVT. 30K miles on it. for about 10 000$.
The problem is:

This car has been not driven for more then a year since it has been imported, because no one got interested in buying it (this car is too unpractical for most russians).

My question: what could happen to the battery if it hasn't been running for a year or so?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do a search for "long term storage". Lots of good information. The car should have been driven every few weeks to keep it charged. The IMA battery is probably OK (judging from what I read here), but the 12V battery is your first concern :!:

I would check all the fluids (maybe drain & replace the motor oil, trans fluid, flush the radiator if you're able)

Then start the car on a good 12V battery if necessary, and run until the SoC goes up near max.

Good Luck!
- Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
...stored for over a year...

Subsea,
Glad to hear that you'll have yet another chance to purchase an Insight. It's obvious that you truly do want one. One of the questions you may want to ask the owner of the car is whether or not any fuel stabilizing additive has been used in order to keep the gasoline in the gas tank from going bad. Gasoline has a natural process of chemical breakdown, and if a product like Sta-bil (the most commonly used stabilizing agent) has not been used you may want to have the old gasoline drained off in order to be able to replace it with fresh fuel.

Best of luck to you with this potential purchase!

-Jeanne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts