Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm not here as much as I should be. I have a 2005 MT, so in love with this car. I replaced the audio head unit 3+ years ago and even with the original speakers, the audio quality was easily twice as good as with the stock head unit.
However....I'm getting a little unhappy with the stock speakers, and I'm about to get a new phone that has Beats Audio as a feature -- so I am interested in replacing all 4 speakers.
Of course I want something that is compatible with the Insight-I, and tried and tested audio quality -- by you!
Please hit me with your suggestions for my audio upgrade -- thank you :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
The insight speakers are absolute trash.

For a lower budget, I enjoyed my Polk dxi650 speakers. People here recommend the slim ones, but I preferred the improved frequency response from the full-size version.
Polk Audio DXi650 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

Plus foam speaker baffles:

I cut away the door panel plastic and made new screw holes:

Trimmed off the back side of the speaker grill, like so:

Fits like a glove:

Later, I switched to HAT Imagine speakers. These are AMAZING speakers, but are a more expensive at $200 and are a little bigger/harder to install.
Stage II - Imagine - The Home of the World's Finest Loudspeakers, and World Championship Car Audio Speaker Systems.

Even the instruction manual makes you excited to listen to music though:
http://hybrid-audio.com/downloads/specification-libraries-and-reference-guides/Imagine_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have mine cut out with boom matts just like GuySmiley. I tried speakers that fit the stock cutout, but bass was horrible. I used the same speaker after the cutout and it was a world of difference. Without boom matts my speakers got soaked in the first rain storm. The boom matts took some of the low end response away, but tightened up the mid-bass and kept the water out. Point being you want to cut the doors and use the matts. IMHO there is no speaker that will sound good with the stock cutout, it is waay too small.

As for speaker choice I went with JBL's power series p662 dipole components. They have huge magnets with over-sized cones and spiders for unparalleled bass response (at least in the sub $100 cat). The tweeters also rock. I got mine for $59 at Amazon, currently $79. The down side of my choice is that I had to route out the entire speaker cover not just the center like GuySmiley. If you have $144 in your budget the P660 components are the same drivers with better crossovers and might mount without routing the covers.

Amazon.com: P662s 6-1/2"" shallow-mount, two-way Power Series® speakers: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: P660C 6 1/2"" (160mm) 2-way component system: Car Electronics

·
Registered
497 Posts
I went with Alpine type S component speakers in the fronts. I used the Alpine speaker grills instead of modifying the stock ones. Obviously mounting the component speakers is more involved since you have to cut a hole in the door panel, but getting the tweeters up high improves the imaging considerably.

IMHO with good front speakers, there is no need to install rears. The location of the rear speakers behind the seats is not good and will just muddy the soundstage.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I went with Alpine type S component speakers in the fronts. I used the Alpine speaker grills instead of modifying the stock ones. Obviously mounting the component speakers is more involved since you have to cut a hole in the door panel, but getting the tweeters up high improves the imaging considerably.

IMHO with good front speakers, there is no need to install rears. The location of the rear speakers behind the seats is not good and will just muddy the soundstage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of these suggestions...

Hi first thanks to ALL of you for your helpful suggestions. As Genesis One Mike knows, I am not one good at these things myself, I shall print out this entire thread and bring it to my audio/visual tech car (he's doing my living room, too), he will fully understand all of your references, and then we'll choose an option and I'll let you know what I go with and how it's working out for me!
P.S.--I understand the references that several of you made to cutting larger the cutouts for either the front or the rear speakers, or both (?), to have an optimal result -- but I'm not sure that I understand the reference to precautions to keeping the rain out of the car/out of the speaker, I understand it only enough to be frightened by just the reference!
My 2005 has just been soooo sweet to me in every way, I don't want to introduce issues of water into the car/water into electrical components....??

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
You should go to best buy or pepboys and test the speakers on display and find what you want. THen google what you liked and buy them online as they are cheaper.

Although I like kenwood Ive been impressed with a setof kicker kc60s I purchased as an open box.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi first thanks to ALL of you for your helpful suggestions. As Genesis One Mike knows, I am not one good at these things myself, I shall print out this entire thread and bring it to my audio/visual tech car (he's doing my living room, too), he will fully understand all of your references, and then we'll choose an option and I'll let you know what I go with and how it's working out for me!
P.S.--I understand the references that several of you made to cutting larger the cutouts for either the front or the rear speakers, or both (?), to have an optimal result -- but I'm not sure that I understand the reference to precautions to keeping the rain out of the car/out of the speaker, I understand it only enough to be frightened by just the reference!
My 2005 has just been soooo sweet to me in every way, I don't want to introduce issues of water into the car/water into electrical components....??
Stock, the front door locations are intended for shallow-mount speakers. Shallow mount speakers are generally pretty inferior to full-depth speakers.
If you want to mount speakers with a greater depth it is necessary to trim some of the plastic which is getting in the way. One of the functions of this plastic is that it channels any water which gets into the door, away from the speaker.

So... cutting the plastic doesn't actually introduce any more water into the door. A little water is fairly normal since the window seal isn't totally water-tight. But it does allow the water to contact the speaker which obviously isn't good for it. When I installed my speakers I built a little rain-water deflector over the speaker using tape and scrap plastic and haven't had any problems. Others use a speaker "boom mat" which basically makes a bag behind the speaker and therefore keeps the water out.

I also installed "component" speakers meaning I have 2 speakers in each door, a mid-range which goes in the stock location and a tweeter mounted up by the door handle. Installing the tweeter requires removing the door panel and cutting a roughly 1" diameter hole. Not for the squeemish, but it does sound much better IMHO than a co-axial speaker which includes the mid-range and tweeter in one.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
You should go to best buy or pepboys and test the speakers on display and find what you want. THen google what you liked and buy them online as they are cheaper.

Although I like kenwood Ive been impressed with a setof kicker kc60s I purchased as an open box.
This is a good suggestion, although I would find a real car stereo shop that carries a few different brands and has some real subject knowledge. Each brand has a budget, mid-range, and high-end set that should be on display. Bring in a favorite CD to sample and compare the different models. The cheapest set will only give you modest gains of sound quality over the eom speakers and are probably not worth the trouble. You get what you pay for.

If you are comfortable doing the work yourself, I can offer you some guidance. Otherwise, find a reputable installer in your area that stands behind his work. I do it as a hobby.

Some pics of my install:

Insight Audio System - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't seen many recent posts on stereo and speaker upgrades. I did a very inexpensive and fast upgrade by replacing the front speakers with these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6HWCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do fit, just barely in the stock enclosure. The old mounting threads are too small of a diameter but I just self tapped the original screws to make new holes. rotate the speaker a little to get it to sink in so the cover fits.

Are these the pinnacle of audio? No. but for $35 they are 10x better than the stock speakers. They are a little trebly, but after a few days of break in are bearable with the limited stock equalizer cranked.

Thinking about adding a powered sub under the passenger seat next, then maybe modifying the deck. Good luck all.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently I upgraded the system in my Insight from factory to somewhat custom in 2 stages.

First was a Pioneer headunit I had laying around along with a set of Kenwood kfc-p709ps components. I knew it was a temporary setup at that point since I had other gear waiting in the wings for stage 2. Knowing this, I ran the components with deck power through the basic crossover network they come with and was surprised and pleased with how they sounded. The speakers have decent bass for their price point of about $65 for the set and I prefer the sound of the included soft dome tweeters over other materials tweeters are made of these days.

I finally got around to stage 2 of the build which included adding a 5 channel amp and a sub. I chose to run new 16awg speaker wire for the door speakers/tweeters and have them running with an active crossover network on an amp rated at 60 watts RMS. The speakers really came to life and I couldn't be happier with the bang for the buck aspect along with the clarity of sound.

The 709's have been superseded by the 710's which I recently installed in a friends truck and he's very happy with them as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts