Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think that this has been posted before, but it is still neat. The Insight body is a good choice for drag racing because of it's aerodynamics, although it could be lighter.

·
Registered
804 Posts
How could it be lighter? Is there an easy way to make an aluminum frame and chassis lighter? Not trying to be contrary - just can't think of anything obvious.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Lot's of things can be removed or replaced to make the insight lighter for racing.

The glass side and rear windows are replaced with thin lexan.
In a race car the passenger seat is removed and an even lighter weight racing seat is used for the driver. A/C is removed among with ABS controller, and lots of stuff under the hood is removed. All the interior is removed including carpets , dashboard, everything...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not sure if it would be possible but just imagine if you took one and converted it to to rear wheel drive with a S2000 engine and rear end. The S2000 weigh's around 2800#. With the Insight's body you could end up with a car weighing around 2000#. This your give you a very fast car and a power to weight ratio of less than 10 to 1. I have seen photos of a Ford Focus that this was done to.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
How could it be lighter? Is there an easy way to make an aluminum frame and chassis lighter? Not trying to be contrary - just can't think of anything obvious.
I can't think of anything obvious either, but a Lotus Elise weighs roughly 1500 pounds and has a much more powerful engine, etcetera. It's even a completely street legal vehicle.* So, although I can't really think of anything, that extra weight must be in there somewhere.

Actually, the obvious place to save weight would be the body. What's up with aluminum body? I would think that fibreglass would be lighter and easier to produce, and.. err, all around better except from an impact resisance perspective.

* Does not apply to the United States, due to an obscure patent issue. The US import model, which I understand will be available soon, is completely different, so this paragraph does not apply there.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Fowpaw, only advanced forms of fiberglass or carbon fiber would be lighter than aluminum. Fiberglass is expensive and it makes a really nasty mess from an environmental perspective if it catches fire. The resins may become brittle with time. It can not be recycled. The resins may cause cancer or allergies. The body of a fiberglass car tends to rip and shatter in unpredictable ways in an impact.

That said, I believe the Canadian Bricklin sports car was an incredibly safe vehicle in its day, and the wing of a homebuilt fiberglass aeroplane reportedly sheared the top of a van like it was cutting through butter. :roll: So I supose it just needs to be done right like everything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts