Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 MT silver/gray Insight. It is locate near Gilroy CA, about 30 miles south of San Jose CA.

I’m trying to decide if I should put it on here for sale (likely for parts)_or give it to a charity. Current mileage is 274,000.

Negatives: Dealer says it needs new front brake pads, Oil leak near timing chain cover, has a small water pump leak; one rear strut is bad, modest damage to driver side body, paint is oxidized (especially the roof).

Positives: New Hybrid Revolt battery 6/17/2017 at 244,285 miles (needs grid charge); new AC compressor 11/12/15 229,614 miles; New transmission and clutch approximately 2013 and 225,000 miles; New windshield 6/25/2021.

I’d appreciate your opinions and an estimated sale price.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Location? Someone could keep it running indefinitely if you sell it.
Duh, I just added location (near Gilroy CA south of San Jose CA). Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have a 2000 MT silver/gray Insight. It is locate near Gilroy CA, about 30 miles south of San Jose CA.

I’m trying to decide if I should put it on here for sale (likely for parts)_or give it to a charity. Current mileage is 274,000.
It's barely into mid life. ;) There's cars on the forum with 400,000+ miles on them.

Negatives: Dealer says it needs new front brake pads, Oil leak near timing chain cover, has a small water pump leak; one rear strut is bad, modest damage to driver side body, paint is oxidized (especially the roof).
Brake pads can be bought at most auto parts store. Oil leak cover sounds like the camshaft cover gasket needs replacement or hold down screws need tightening. Water pump leak, see if a new pump is available or put radiator sealer in radiator to hopefully fix that. "Rear strut" sounds like the shock absorber? Auto parts store should have something that will fit.

If you like the car these are not killer reasons to get rid of it.

Positives: New Hybrid Revolt battery 6/17/2017 at 244,285 miles (needs grid charge)
Easy enough to do a rejuvenation/charge ;)
Build your own charger for less than $100. See my website after clicking on the "CRX" area below this post.

new AC compressor 11/12/15 229,614 miles; New transmission and clutch approximately 2013 and 225,000 miles; New windshield 6/25/2021.

I’d appreciate your opinions and an estimated sale price.
Thanks in advance
Drive it for another couple 100,000 miles after fixing it? If not I would list it on the forum, someone will buy it to fix up & drive it.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
960 Posts
Is it driveable now? None of the items noted by the dealer are fatal. With regular maintenance these cars will run for quite some time. My CVT currently has 305K miles. A forum member just bought an Insight with something like 460k miles and is driving it home 3/4 of the way across the country.

Are you mechanically inclined? All of the items you mention are fixable at modest parts cost if you are willing to do the work yourself.

Alternatively, if you are anywhere near Covina, Ca., the best Insight mechanic in the country, Scott Kulbeck at Jue Motors, can repair all of the items you mention.

If you are inclined to sell, if the IMA pack is healthy, it is probably a $1,500-2,000 car but might bring more with an exceptionally clean interior and good condition Potenzas.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
I'll save this car if you want to give it up for the right price. I just recently passed on one I picked up from Carmichael to a friend, who now daies it because it gets 50mpg+ vs his Volvo that gets 15. I have saved 6 this year and I don't plan on stopping.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Good on you Balto. On re-reading the original post, there is essentially nothing wrong with this car.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Good on you Balto. On re-reading the original post, there is essentially nothing wrong with this car.
Probably not much worse than the one I picked up a week or so ago with a blown out FR fender due to a Raccoon strike. This one is definitely saveable due to the past repair history and I don't think it needs to be turned into coke cans yet.

Reactions: Joule

·
Registered
960 Posts
Depressing to think that a raccoon strike can cause some folks to walk away from these little gems.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
I wanted to, but OP hasn't been online for 11d so sadly he hasn't replied to my PM

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Balto, did you add this one to your stable?
Meant to quote so you would get notified. Read above.

[Edit]: Odd, it won't let me PM him. I was gonna send a follow-up message. Oh well.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Never know what's going on with folks in Covid times. Maybe a little more patient waiting?

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Unfortunately not.

·
Registered
960 Posts
T'was patience and persev'rance t'made "The Bishop" of "His Reverence."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll save this car if you want to give it up for the right price. I just recently passed on one I picked up from Carmichael to a friend, who now daies it because it gets 50mpg+ vs his Volvo that gets 15. I have saved 6 this year and I don't plan on stopping.
I'm about to list it on here for $ 1500 OBO. I'm most interested in finding it a good home, so make an offer.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
For 1500 I'll have to pass unfortunately xD.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts