Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Mod Note: Thread locked because the OP has not responded to requests from the moderators to bring this post into compliance with the rules for selling a vehicle.

Bull Dog - InsightCentral Moderator

It's a sad day. I bought her new.

My trusted mechanic says her (2nd) hybrid battery has died & it's time. They suggested there might be collectors on this form who would want to buy this 'vintage' car.
She has 119K miles & mostly driven around the Bay Area.

Let me know if you are interested & what questions I can answer for you.

8/21 update: Thanks for peoples' replies. I appreciate all your wisdom, experiences & advice. And its time for me to let her go.

Updated information:

Odometer In: 119257
Car is automatic

Body has a few blemishes but mostly in good condition. 2019 new battery. Tires replaced in 2018. The driver side window moves slowly up & down--the motor might be going. There's duct tape holding a cosmetic piece near the window. This piece is not fully falling off, but I have it there for my own security.

Car is at shop & I hope to get there later today for updated photos. If you are interested, please email me: [email protected]

·
7,200 Posts
Why is your mechanic saying it's time(to get rid of the car) just because it needs a new hybrid battery? Two batteries in 18 years is pretty much expected; they are wear items after all.....

If the car is in good condition and otherwise runs and drives fine and most importantly - if you don't actually want to get rid of it, replace the battery. Certainly cheaper than a new or used vehicle...

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
If you love the car I say buy a Bumblebee battery and give it another 10 years. I just did to my 2001 [email protected] was wonderful to work with and the car runs like a champ, has many many years left.

Now if you're also in need of struts and a cat and mounts and have multiple CEL codes then maybe it's time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Don't be so quick to give up on your Insight.

Are there any error lights showing on the dashboard?

Have you ever grid charged the battery? If not you might be able to get some more life out of the battery you have. My Honda warranty replacement battery is 7-1/2 years old and still works OK with now and then grid charges.

You can find out about grid charging by doing a search on the forum or reading about it on my website at projekt.com/locouki/

·
Registered
168 Posts
If your set to sell post pics and details. I’m looking for a 5speed myself and could pick it up this weekend if the price and details were right.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooo!! Get a new battery. I just put a third one in my 2000. Still used as a daily driver.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I second what greentrees wrote. Eli at Bumblebee Battery is great to work with. He’s on this forum under that name.

Granted, if the Insight has multiple costly issues or if it simply doesn’t serve your needs, it may be time to “re-home” the car.

I bought my Insight used; the hybrid battery had already been replaced in year 7 and again in year 14. The 2nd replacement was a Bumblebee. When it failed early (while I owned the car), Eli replaced it under warranty. Now with more knowledge and some hindsight, I’m confident that third failure was due to several known factors in how it was mishandled and poorly maintained. I have good reason to expect this current Bumblebee will last many years.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I bought a used 2001 with a weak battery that was out of warranty. I bought the Prolong battery maintenance kit (Prolong Battery Systems | Hybrid Automotive California, USA) and do the charge-discharge cycle about twice a year now. The battery which was shaky responded and acts like new. And even if you keep the car with a new battery having the Prolong charger and discharger are a good idea. Batteries need love, too.

Reactions: brucepick

·
Read Only
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your set to sell post pics and details. I’m looking for a 5speed myself and could pick it up this weekend if the price and details were right.
Thanks Richard & sorry for delayed reply. It is not a stick shift, if that's what you mean by a 5speed.

Of course you want pics & details! It's still at the mechanics, so I'm afraid I don't have that information to share right now. I'll try to get there today to get these.

Thanks,

Adee

·
Read Only
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My trusted mechanic says her (2nd) hybrid battery has died & it's time. They suggested there might be collectors on this form who would want to buy this 'vintage' car.
She has 119K miles & mostly driven around the Bay Area.

Let me know if you are interested & what questions I can answer for you.

·
Super Moderator
687 Posts
I have moved this thread to the Buy/Sell forum because the Gen 1 General Discussion forum is not the correct place to try and sell your car.

In addition to that, your post is missing required information for selling your car. Please read the rules thread and update your post accordingly.

Thank you,

·
Read Only
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have moved this thread to the Buy/Sell forum because the Gen 1 General Discussion forum is not the correct place to try and sell your car.

In addition to that, your post is missing required information for selling your car. Please read the rules thread and update your post accordingly.

Thank you,
thank you

·
Registered
161 Posts
i bought a cvt and shortly after i bought the car the ima light came on. last night i disconnected both battery cables and put a charger on the 12v battery overnight. i hnow nothing about restoring the ima. this morning i took the charger off and reconnected the battery cables and turned the switch in the back deck back on and no ima light. the car has a long way to go, but it runs the best since i bought it. this is my last car unless a deer or bear tries to eliminate it The car has a long way to go and i am in wisconsin by the big water. if you like your gen1 keep it and look for an experienced gen1 guy or gal in the bay area to get it right. there is a guy in so cal who has a shop and is very experienced. about these insights. nakona1

·
Registered
506 Posts
... if you like your gen1 keep it and look for an experienced gen1 guy or gal in the bay area to get it right. there is a guy in so cal who has a shop and is very experienced. about these insights. nakona1
He is indeed excellent. His first name is Scott and his handle on this forum is KLR3CYL.
I believe he does complete general service on these cars. He rebuilds the Insight 5-speed trans. I bought one from him; it arrived in a crate (shipped cross country to CT) and works great. He also builds stamped aluminum belly pans to replace the oem rubber+aluminum ones that go at the front of the car. Far superior to the oem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.