Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember hearing that there were re-calls / service bulletins for the Insight. Can somebody please clarify this to me? Also, where can I check to see if an Insight has had the work done? Should the work be done? Should it be free even if the car is no longer under warranty? Please give me all the info you can, sorry if this is a repeated topic.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Recalls are work items that by law have to be done to the car free of charge. There are two recalls on the Insight. The major one is the ECM (engine control module) recall that effects 00 and 01 cars only. This was done for "emissions reasons" but really it also completely remapped the way the car acts.

The other is a DC/DC converter recall on a certain vin range for 00 year cars only. It had something to do with the converter possibly overheating and not shutting down when it was supposed to. Frankly if my car was involved in this I would just let it be knowing you have a second one comming if it ever fails on you. The DC/DC is an expensive part.

Tech Service Bullitens are bullitens given to the dealerships by Honda that inform them of known problems. In the event that you have a problem they look to these first and see if what you are experiencing is commong. For the Insight there are a few. These are not done free of charge if your outside warranty.

One is the one relating to the window auto down not working, I think it basically tells how to adjust it and replace the regulator.

Another is for the EGR valve, related to causing rough engine operation.

Not sure if there are any others. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Rick,
I did exactly that (Ignore until it fails since neither recall could have a cascading effect on other parts). Interestingly Honda sends me regular annual reminders on the emissions recall. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Have they sent a "you may void your warranty if you don't comply soon" warning on the emissions recall? A friend of mine told me his parents got a letter like that for theirs so they finally had the recall done. Like I've said, they allegedly got the "04" flash with their new computer and the car's actually getting better mileage now as well as it being smoother driving.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am out of warranty. So the only free work I would get would be a part that they would replace as a result of a recall so I will wait. I can't imagine getting better mileage and my car drives smooth. I do have an easy operation pattern (Interstate cruising). Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The headlight switch recall is valid. Check:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... search.cfm

Search for your car, it will be there. It effects all Insight's 00-02 and 00 to 02 civics I think so it effects some 44,000 cars I believe they said.

If you look on the yahoo group there are several people who have actually had their low beams just die on them while driving in the middle of no where so I'm glad they are recalling this. The procedure is for them to check the wire connector for possible heat damage and replace if necessary, and replace the headlight switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts