1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,
The service manual schematic shows a dead short from IMA batt + to -:
(Tech Manuals ->wiring.pdf)
I merged pages 24 (leftmost), 26, 28, 30 (rightmost) into a single document, then highlighted IMA pack positive with a thick red line:

Starting from the top right corner of (page 30):
-Positive leaves battery positive terminal (page 30), then
-splits to PCU (page 28 ) and Battery Current Sensor (page 26)
-leaves Battery Current Sensor (page 26) and enters High Voltage Contactor (page 26)
-splits from High Voltage Contactor (page 26) to DC-DC fuse (page 24) and MPI Current Sensor (page 26)
-leaves MPI Current Sensor (page 26) and then heads back towards PCU (page 28 ), where IMA + shorts directly to IMA - (circled in green).

Hence my confusion...

·
Registered
30 Posts
It does look like that. I think this was a side-effect of the simplified battery/y-capacitor/PCU drawing on page 32-9 of the electrical troubleshooting manual (which I think is IS0006032009A.pdf in the manual packages). You can see vestiges of it in your image: there's a simplified copy of the battery above the y-capacitor. The wire from the y-capacitor to the PCU is also a simplification, but they happened to get + and - confused.

So, delete the orange wire from the y-capacitor to the PCU. Then swap leads on the PCU for the no-color-assigned wire from the MPI module current sensor.

The real diagram to look at is 32-8 in the electrical troubleshooting manual. It has the full high voltage circuit path without extra wires.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thank you so much for putting this together and publishing it. It is exceedingly helpful. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts