Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I have been wondering through the forum for 2 and a half years now getting information and trouble shooting tips and my little "Squig" (2001 CVT 170K) is now completely restored. New Battery with recently acquired and modified grid charger/Discharger, new paint, Headlights, Seats, Brakes, Great sound system with Navigation, Satellite radio all the bells. I have been on a "Squig Fest" with 12 other 1st gen Insights. Love Red Rocket turbo guy's great mod.

I wouldn't have been able to do all this without this forum. Everything I needed was here. My warmest thanks to you all. However this is my first post!

I have come across an issue with getting parts for my car NOW! As an example, Wednesday 4/11/2015, lo and behold a pool of oil under my car in my garage. Well of cause it has just been repaired with new main shaft seal, Idler pulley and serpentine belt. All thanks to this forum. I downloaded the manual years ago but have never used it.

However, I have noticed and confirmed it today that parts for the Insight are either disappearing or you have to pat dearly for it. We all know where to go if we need it now but I tried something today that saved me $64 in parts. :evil:

I called around for availability for the parts on my leaky car and was sent from where I live to Dana point then to Tustin and to LA for the main seal for a total cost of $168 and some change. Well I didn't go of cause as I had a previous experience with getting over charged for a CVT strainer and filter just because I used the words 2001 Honda insight. :-?

I started to cross reference the parts with newer model Hondas and an hour or so later called the local supplier with my laundry list. This time I owned a 2008 Honda Fit. I got all the parts for my repair from the same place that had turned me down as not having them in stock, "special order" as they put it. All for a cost of $104. What's up with that? :confused:
So I have compiled a small list of items with aliases that I have had to get because I needed them right away. I hope this helps this forum as much as you have helped me.

2001 Honda Insight CVT Maintenance Aliases.
2001 Insight CVT 25420-PHT-003 Strainer = 2011 Honda Civic - Hybrid L4 and others.
2001 Insight CVT 25450-P4V-013 Filter = 2008 – 2014 Pilot, Odyssey, Accord and Crosstour.
2001 Insight CVT 91305-PN4-003 O ring dimension’s 37.7 x 3.5 can get that anywhere.
2001 Insight CVT 91331-P4V-003 O ring dimension’s 49.3 x 2.4 can get that anywhere.

2001 Honda Insight Main Seal Aliases.

2001 Honda Insight Main Seal 91212-PWA-003 dimension’s 40 x 55 x 7 NOK = Fit 2007 – 2011, CRZ 2011 only, Civic 2003 – 2011 also call Honda Marine used in 14 different Honda Outboards.

2001 Honda Insight Idler/Tension Pulley with A/C

2001 Insight Idler pulley 38942-PWA-004 Loads of aftermarket. I like the Gates DriveAlign - Idler Pulley 38011. Good quality like OEM. Also used on the Fit etc. 2008 Fit 38942-PWA-004 same thing.

I will be adding to it as maintenance prevails. All the best and have great mileage!
;)

·
Linsight Designer
2,692 Posts
Excellent research and welcome to the club! Note: there's a master list on this website of compatible parts... I'm sure that poster would LOVE this information. How much effort was your repaint?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ReSpray

Excellent research and welcome to the club! Note: there's a master list on this website of compatible parts... I'm sure that poster would LOVE this information. How much effort was your repaint?
Sorry I took so long to reply....time, time, time.

Actually, I was side swiped by an SUV while my wife and I where at dinner that left a minor damage to the plastic spat and a little on the rear bumper. I remember the cream Cadillac Escalade parked on my left when we arrived. It was gone when we returned. Of cause there was no sorry note or anything. Sometimes I want to have an 8 foot pole with a bid red flag on the rear on the car like the ATV's in the desert so fellow drivers can see the car.

The repairs where just chips and the scratch to the left side of the car. She also had her clear coat fogging in places. I sold my original headlights to a guy on Craigslist that was repairing a front end damaged 2005 Insight. I gave him a good price so he gave me his card for a discounted re spray. MAACO :confused:

Not my choice. I did go and see him and the Insight he repaired was min the oven so I could see it. There where 911's, Beamers, and Mercedes the and the quality was good! He quoted me for a complete sand, primer and topcoat as close as he could get it to the color it was but told me to get a gallon of expensive clear and he would triple coat it for me. $259 for the clear!

Altogether $1780 with a 5 year warranty as long as supplied the clear and it included a color sand and buff. He also told me to be prepared for the overspray that I would have to take care of myself. I got him to paint all the black trim around the bottom of the car after removing the adhesive stickers. So now its all one color! looks great!!
:D:evil::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the master list

Oh, I did not know. Where is it?
I have checked the knowledge base, but could not find it.
Me neither.

Here are some idler bearing replacements too.

Replacement's suitable:

VXB 6203DU Sealed Ball Bearing 17x40x12 $3.77
NSK 6203-2NSE Nachi Bearing 17x40x12 Sealed High Load $8.76 :evil:
JSB 6203-2rs Premium Seal 6203 2rs Bearing $3.68
ESI 6203-2RS Ball Bearing 17x40x12 Sealed $5.75
Amico 17 x 40 x 12mm 6203-2RS $5.25

Use the old bearing to press it back in after heating up the pulley in the oven to 375 degrees. Save some $$$.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Cool! I'm going to try rebuilding my bad CVT transmission in the next couple of years, and just started looking at parts for them. A while back I read with interest the thread about rebuilding your own CVT, so with all these resources it should turn out ok.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the list. I recall when the Insight first came out, it also had some parts in common with the S2000. Basically if a part for the Insight does not have "S3Y" or "PHM" for its Parts Classification Number (PCN), then it was first used in a different vehicle and could very well still be available. If it has "S3Y" (or "PHM" - not sure about this one) as the PCN then it is an Insight specific part and if not shared by some other Honda model may be problematic.

I am curious if there is a list published somewhere of the different Honda model Part Classification Numbers for cars. There are quite a few sites with PCN's for motorocylces but I have had no luck with cars. The only PCN I know for sure is S3Y is the Insight. Back in 2002 I added a gas cap holder to my Insight by purchasing Honda part 74423-SP0-000 (reference to this in post at http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...leaving-your-gas-cap-behind-2.html#post109522), cutting off some tiny clips on the rear of it and using outdoor rated double sided tape to attach it to my gas cap cover door. "SP0" appears to be the Prelude but I really wasn't sure.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
2001 Honda Insight CVT Maintenance Aliases.
2001 Insight CVT 25420-PHT-003 Strainer = 2011 Honda Civic - Hybrid L4 and others.
2001 Insight CVT 25450-P4V-013 Filter = 2008 – 2014 Pilot, Odyssey, Accord and Crosstour.
2001 Insight CVT 91305-PN4-003 O ring dimension’s 37.7 x 3.5 can get that anywhere.
2001 Insight CVT 91331-P4V-003 O ring dimension’s 49.3 x 2.4 can get that anywhere.
FYI, ATP sells the flat filter for around $10 and Beck Arnley has the round one including the two o-rings for even less.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Back in 2002 I added a gas cap holder to my Insight by purchasing Honda part 74423-SP0-000 (reference to this in post at http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...leaving-your-gas-cap-behind-2.html#post109522), cutting off some tiny clips on the rear of it and using outdoor rated double sided tape to attach it to my gas cap cover door. "SP0" appears to be the Prelude but I really wasn't sure.
Here's a better option: The Mopar 52124512AA Fuel Tank Cap (Google it). Available from various sources from $7 to $20, fits dozens of vehicles. Comes with an attached rubber (or plastic?) lanyard with a rubber arrowhead plug at the other end. Drill a hole smaller than the diameter of the plug on the curved piece that swings open the gas cover door and push the arrowhead plug in the hole until it seats. Voila, no more left-behind caps. While filling up, the threaded end hangs neatly from the bottom of the gas cover door. :D

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
expensive insight parts

Just paid $ 455.06 for part 36531-PHM-A51 Was told it was the last one in the USA. So hopefully there is a compatible O2 sensor out there. Service writer told me it would be at least 2 weeks to get one from Japan, I ask him specifically what would happen if there was not one in the USA. You can only sell your car as non operational in California with a check engine light on, Vehicles have to pass smog and it's the owners reasonability to fix it.

Good luck saving money on gas.

05 154k CVT 51.7 lifetime

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,623 Posts
The next time you go for that part. Take a shovel with you. You were fed a lot of BS.
If that is the LB 02 sensor, they are around 135-170 on the Internet from parts shops.

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made that mistake last year.

The next time you go for that part. Take a shovel with you. You were fed a lot of BS.
If that is the LB 02 sensor, they are around 135-170 on the Internet from parts shops.

HTH
Willie
Bought one for $56. Light went out but reaction time on the sensor was slow. Bought the $156.00 one and all is well again. Actually millage went up 5 or so.

Mark:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.