Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on doing all maintenance for my insight 2 by myself. Not only because I enjoy working on cars, but also because dealers seem to do servicing as they like it and not as it is supposed to be.

A few questions:

1. Is there a way to stop the automatic maintenance minders?
2. Is there a schedule where it states what has to be done at which moment?
3. Is it correct that normal maintenance on the insight is very easy?

Kind regards

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Why would you want to stop the maintenance reminders? The tell you when to do the maintenance. There is a way to reset them once you have performed the maintenance. I believe you hold down the set/reset button on the dash and turn the ignition key to on.

The letter codes tell you what gets done when. The oil life tells when the oil needs changing. This is real, this is the 21st century. Changing oil on a mileage interval is mid 20th century. Don't do it.

It is rather easy to change the oil, change the CVT fluid, replace the engine and cabin filters. It gets harder, depending on your skill and experience to change the brake fluid. The brake pads themselves can be changed without even turning the rotors if you are willing to take that chance and go very easy on the brakes for the first week. In fact, the pads in our Insight are at 60% left at over 60k. The car has regenerative braking. When you press on the brakes the IMA generator kicks in and slows down the car. The actual brakes only get used for the last little bit of slowing.

The spark plugs last for over 100k. There are 8 of them (4 of two different kinds) and they are very expensive. You do not want to replace them early or ever use anything but oem.

The coolant is long life, like to 120k long. Always use Honda coolant when topping. (which it should not need)

You do not have you location listed in your profile, so you may have to translate the measurement I have used (you can edit your profile so your location shows under your name in all your posts)

Here is a link to a pdf of the 2010 Insight owner's manual. It is linked, meaning you can click on the blue page numbers to skip ahead. Maintenance begins on page 335 and the letter and number codes are on page 346.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/M81010/M81010OM.pdf

·
Registered
943 Posts
The service schedule is different depending on location.

In Europe, we have the option of not enabling the SVRS system in the first place. If so, the default oil change interval is 12,500 miles or 1 year, whichever is sooner.

Very important you change CVT fluid on time. That's 25,000 miles or two years for Europe, every 3rd oil change in the US.

In Europe, servicing must be carried out at a tax registered garage (not necessarily the dealer) or the manufacturer's warranty can be deemed invalid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
1, you can reset it, but not disable it. The car is low maintenance with oil changes being yearly or ten thousand miles.

2. Yes, its in the manual. Most typically of other vehicles.

3. Yes, just like other vehicles. The main difference is a bad, low or weak starter battery can cause performance issues with the IMA system. It can also cause random lights on the dash to come on indicating faults.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts