Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the front timing cover on the Insight engine. is it necessary to remove the oil pan to do so? Trying to do a head gasket job on my old insight. or does anyone know where you can get a shop manual for one of these cars?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Helps if you give year and generation of car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Not necessarily. Users make this mistake all the time. And if he had done any searching at all he would have found the answers to his questions.

Sam

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’m a technician so it’s important to know year make model engine and trans to supply the correct information to help I know he most likely has a G1 but did they make any changes to the timing or engine design between 2000-2006 most others have minor improvements over the first year cars

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
No significant changes.

James91:
Please include your Location in your Profile.

·
Super Moderator
7,308 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the front timing cover on the Insight engine. is it necessary to remove the oil pan to do so? Trying to do a head gasket job on my old insight. or does anyone know where you can get a shop manual for one of these cars?
You can download the Service Manual (i.e. shop manual) from this link:

You will have to unzip the thing and it is huge, but usable.

It normally isn't necessary to remove the timing chain cover to do a head gasket job. Search on head gasket repair. Several write-ups are in the archive.

The Service Manual comes up occasionally on eBay. It originally cost about $60, but it is out of print so a seller's market. This one is currently listed. A bit expensive, but they list "make an offer." You might get them down a bit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i did this not to long ago, no need to pull oil pan, also found it easier to remove the cam then mess with the hoses on the thermostat cover, i removed the valve train, pulled cam and left hoses on the cover, put it back in and slid the cam back, much easier, also, when the head is off, the chain will drop and screw up the location of the link to set the timing, but you can just use the timing marks to set it

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
James 91:
Please include your location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m a technician so it’s important to know year make model engine and trans to supply the correct information to help I know he most likely has a G1 but did they make any changes to the timing or engine design between 2000-2006 most others have minor improvements over the first year cars

It's a 2001 Honda Insight with a 5-speed manual transmission with the original 3 cylinder 1.0 L engine lean burn so first generation

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
James91
Wait....First you were replacing a head gasket and now timing gears because of bad mpg and running. What gives?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
01 Honda Insight 302k for the last couple of years and All summer this car was getting good gas mileage and running well. But I overheated it once on a long trip when it was 92° out going up the hill I stopped and let it cool down got a little water and then kept going over the next couple my car seems to be losing power gradually and about five weeks ago the gas mileage began to plummet down to the 40 s so the other day I was looking it over and did a compression test which seemed good I also replace the ignition coil packs I found a little cream oil filler cap so I thought I had a bad head gasket took it apart had the head machined and valve job put it back together with new gaskets and work just like before no good. When I had it apart I seen that the lower timing chain sprocket seemed worn quite a bit so I'm thinking that if I can get the timing cover off and replace that socket that may help because it looks like it's worn to the point where the timing can slightly fluctuate due to wear at least this is what I'm thinking

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
How did you inspect the lower timing gear without removing the cover?
Your chain might stretch but the tension is automatic, so not much chance of a timing problem.
Did you use a timing light to check the timing while running?
Did the timing mark on the cam gear and the crankshaft align properly when re-assemblying the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes the Marks did aligned properly when reassembling I looked down through the timing chain cover to see the crankshaft sprocket with the cylinder head off. I guess that's not the very best View. I did not use a timing light maybe that would have been better

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
In my opinion you are wasting your time about the sprocket. I would look elsewhere.
I would check the first CAT for restriction.

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
What were the readings and how did you check it?
If the bottom end was worn out you would hear a "Knock Knock Knock".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts