Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an unusual problem happen with my 02 CVT with 44700 miles on it last night that is still stumping the techs at the Victorville Honda dealer.

It happened on the way up the 5500 ft. vertical climb on my commute home last night - I was going uphill as I normally do with the CVT running at about 5000rpm, when I lost power, heard a "clunk" in the front, and then a "slipping" sensation, when the check engine light came on. As I coasted down to 30 mph and 2500 rpm, I regained power again and was able to make it home. On the way to the dealer, I had to drive up the Cajon Pass, again pushing the revs up there and I got the same behavior starting at 4500 rpm, and really bad at 5000 rpm.

The dealer had his foreman look at the car, and they got a "VTEC code", but beyond that, they are clueless. He spent about 2 hours today on the phone with Honda Tech Support, and I still don't have a diagnosis.

Any ideas?

At a minimum, I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That gives me the willies.

"Slipping" meaning exactly what? I guess it would be hard to tell in a CVT if the tranny was slipping, since the revs vary anyway.

Was your "check engine light" on?

The exact alphanumerical trouble code would help, maybe they can tell you that. But I looked in my service manual and found P1259 (VTEC System Malfunction). If that is the code, then:

They are supposed to reset the ECM, and test the VTEC system by running the ICE at 4k rpm for 2 sec. If the code does not recur, they should repeat the test 2 more times.

If it does recur, there is probably something wrong with the VTEC solenoid, or maybe a switch in the system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slipping meaning an increasing hesitation/jumpiness - in a second you would get lurching about 10 times as the car loses power/gets it back. At 5000 rpm you basically lose all power - it feels like a belt is a little loose and intermittently gaining contact.

The tech that was working on it had his father die, so now I'm back to square one - they have one other tech that is trained to work with Insights - we'll see how long this takes.

·
Registered
700 Posts
From my review of the service manual, this should be able to be evaluated by any of the techs there, as long as they can download the codes.

I will bet that the VTEC is malfunctioning (not actuating, or actuating intermittently). The exact cause of the malfunction is what they need to track down. I am no expert on this, so I don't know what is the most likely cause, but following the procedures in the manual should lead them to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the two service techs qualified to look at Insights, the schmuck that did my oil change put too much oil in (I only gave him 3 quarts, so maybe he didnt drain it all the way) which caused the oil to get "foamy" which screwed up the VTEC. He drained the oil and replaced it with the appropriate amount and it runs fine - $78 + $40 for the rental car + 2 days later, I learned my lesson. It ran fine for about 1000 miles since the oil was changed too...

Sigh.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the info; what a pain. How much did they overfill it? This has been a common problem with dealers, especially with Insights. That is one reason I do my own changes.

You said:
I only gave him 3 quarts, so maybe he didnt drain it all the way
The car only takes 2.6 quarts, so I hope they gave you some back.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yea, overfilling is not good. Once I overfilled mine almost to 3 quarts (remembered just before I finished the 3rd full quart) but luckily we didn't have any trouble. This was probably due to the fact that we never really run the Insight at high rpm's for the VTEC to kick in. I definitely recommend doing your own oil changes. There's just not enough Insights on the road for all Honda dealers to be more knowledgeable than the actual owner of the vehical.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay - dumb question then. Does anyone have a step-by-step process for changing your own oil? I'm worried about how to get the car up off the ground safely without a lift.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. Jack the car up from the middle jacking points (metal ribs going from front to rear - on the undercarriage under the doors).
2. Place a jackstand under the front jacking point.
3. Repeat for the other side.
4. Remove the underbody (pop clips and some bolts). It will come off with one middle piece attached to two side pieces - take it all off together.
5. Open the oil filler cap on top of the engine.
6. Remove the drain bolt and let the oil drain.
7. Remove the filter and let all that drain.
8. Replace the drain bolt WITH A NEW WASHER.
9. Put the new oil filter on with a little oil on the gasket so it seals properly.
10. Fill the oil up to 2.6 quarts and close the filler cap.
11. Put the underbody back on.
12. Jack the car from the middle jacking points just enough to get the jacktands out and let the car down.
13. Make sure the oil level is full and turn the engine on for a minute to check for leaks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Or use an oil extractor, and pick up the above at #9. I don't need to raise my car to do the other stuff.

Highly recommended, cheap tool. And I also use it to remove the EXCESS OIL that they always put in the Odyssey. And no, I don't know why I don't change it's oil, too, but I know I only have so much time.

Info in this thread:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18841&highlight=#18841

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Let me discribe how I changed my oil this weekend:
I use a Pela oil extractor.
Open up the hood
Remove dipstick
Insert the Pela hose into the oil dipstick opening
Pump about 20 times so it creates vacuum
Walk away and get a drink, relax for a few minutes
Come back, check to make sure all the oil is out
Remove the Pela hose.
Add fresh oil
Done.

I did not have to change my oil filter, as I change it every other oil change, I think the Pela oil extractor is a great tool, you don't even have to get under the car, last time I even replaced the oil filter without getting under the car, you can reach from the top, just have to have a good grip, and a rag to catch the small amount of oil that spills from the filter. so in other words, you don't even need to get under the car to replace the oil. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts