Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Just completed an 1800 mile trip from Tx to Conn. Did some "Shadow Drafting". Got great milage. If there is any interest, will respond in detail.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Sure... hit us with some details. I'm curious what roads you took, I've driven through those states by way of I-10 and then up through Mississippi.

And what do you mean by "shadow drafting?"

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Blairfox:

___I would be interested in those details as well. I have used the Surf technique as well as the pure draft from ~ 1 to 1.5 seconds back but this sounds like something new. New is good ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:12jfhz25][email protected][/email:12jfhz25]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We recently purchased a new 2003 cvt. When we started the trip the car had about 600 miles on it. There were two people, about 150 lbs of luggage, laptop with gps and a 4 lb pomerian. We traveled hwy 30, 40 and 81 which is one of the main corridors from east to west with thousands of 18 wheeler trucks on the road. This gave us the opportunity to do some "Shadow Drafting". We found that the selection of an 18 wheeler was important. The best appeared to be the large box with the low profile (22.5) tires in the rear and a valance that covered the rear bumper area to about 18 inches above the pavement. The owner operator was a better selection over a fleet operation, because the fleet operation is usually monitored by satellite and they tend to drive the speed limit. A good draft usuallu ran in the 75 to 80 mph. After selecting the draft, when you move in behind the big rig, there is some wind buffeting until you locate the "sweet spot" which is usually 6 to 8 car lengths behind. You will know when you are there, the buffeting will stop, the instant mpg will go up and to confirm this, the insight will wag her tail every so gently. The recommended is one car lenght for each 10 mph for safety and this seems to work out great for the Insight. Once the sweet spot is found, then you shadow the movements of the big rig. Most drivers know when they have picked up a draft and they tend to calculate their lane changes to accomodate the draft. It is a good idea to move to the left every few minutes so that the driver can see you, because if you cannot see his mirrors, he can't see you. Do not draft a night. Drivers don't like the Insight's light in their mirrors. Without a draft at 60 to 65 mph with air we averaged about 52. With a draft 75 to 80 mph with air about 65mpg and without air about 70mpg. Not bad for a cvt. At the distance behind the big rig, you have plenty of time for stopping because you can stop a lot faster than the big rig. We felt completely safe and the rip was enjoyable letting the driver run interfence for us. Most of the time, when the big rig had to pull into the mandatory weigh stations, the drivers would wave and honk to us. I feel that the big rig operators know that Insight pilots are a group of courtious and safe drivers. Happy drafting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts