Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm not too experienced with driving a manual and the fact that the insight is so quiet and is always at low rpms makes it more difficult to know when to shift.
How many of you actually follow the little shift indicator? I used to ... and i'm not quite sure how I was able to do it when I first got the car in Janurary... because now if i follow what it says i lug like crazy. The shift indicator usually says to shift into 2nd at like 10-12 mph and to 3rd at 25 mph...
Recently I've been shifting to 2nd at 15 mph and to 3rd at 30 mph. I really find it quite frustrating and stressful! I don't know when to shift to the next gear to get the best mpg and keep from lugging. The car is always at such low rph it's like impossible to tell when to shift by the rpm gauge and the engine doesn't make enough sound to tell by ear.
Can anyone give me an idea of when i should be shifting to the next gear? I need shift points for normal driving conditions, on a level well paved road, with good weather.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
While accelerating I shift to the next gear when I reach about 3000 or 3500 RPM under normal driving conditions. I don't like shifting when the light that tells me to shift.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
whatuproblem said:
Hey,
<snip>

I need shift points for normal driving conditions, on a level well paved road, with good weather.

Thanks a bunch!
For maximum MPG driving lugging allows for a greater percentage of IMA assist. As long as your pattern of driving doesn't cause a forced charge then follow the shift indicator. If you find your depleting the IMA pack faster than normal braking recharges it then begin to delay the upshifts a bit more (higher RPM's) until you find the sweet spot. :D

HTH! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
While accelerating I shift to the next gear when I reach about 3000 or 3500 RPM under normal driving conditions. I don't like shifting when the light that tells me to shift.
I heard you can turn the shift lights on and off. I want to turn mine on. I just don't know how.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts