Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My 201 Honda insight has been sitting for about 4 months, I am now just getting it back on the road. The Side to Side Shifting is very stiff, I have had the tranny oil changed but that didnt help, any suggestions???

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmmm... maybe the forks underneath the console need regreased. I know when I had mine off to install a shifter boot that there was a lot of grease on the forks there. Basically you remove the 4 screws on the sides, then very carefully wiggle the two plastic pop fasteners loose after removing the shifter handle and it's off. Might be worth checking.

There is also the rest of the linkages too. Have you checked anything?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick, Do you mean Remove the Shift asembly it self??? So far what i tried was spraaying a ton of wd 40 and then some white lithium grease, it helped a little but not alot?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No just the cover. The plastic piece that the shifter handle and cup holders are on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
shift pivots

Check the shift pivots on the transmission, where the cables attach to the levers. If they are stiff, apply some grease between the shaft and the bushing collar and that should cure your problem.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah, have someone else rock the shifter while you look. You'll spot them pretty quickly....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes the linkages he's talking about are located on the top of the transmission. Just lift the hood and look near the back of the engine compartment, I think you can fairly easily see them from there. If that does no good you may try the ones I was talking about, these are under the plastic console inside the car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Thanks guys, I sprayed the pivots and it was like night and day, actual it now shifts smoother then it EVER has, Even when it was brand new off the lot!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts