Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do a search under Rick for “Shin Etsu” without the quotes. It will cure you of any problem you might be having with your window lifts …

ok...

If your windows stick and you take it to the dealership, this is the stuff they use to lube the run channels. It's a silicon grease which is amazing stuff. Honda part number 08798-9013. A 100g tube will run you about $14 or so, and not all dealerships will carry it. But it's worth it. The dealership applied a really thin layer of this to my window run channels and got them moving like new again

great! cool so i found some of the stuff on ebay. can someone please tell me what and where the "run channels" are for the windows? I'm assuming you mean the rubber strip that goes along the side of the window but i rubbed a bit into those strips two nights ago and the windows perform exactly as crappily as before.

found some pretty defensive posts about this problem claiming there is no problem w/ honda's power windows.. but.. uhm.. come on give me a break. i have to sit there and gently PUSH the window up along with using the power win switch to get both windows to close and i dont want to be doing that any more... I live in a rather foggy area of san francisco and i notice that the windows raise LIGHTNING fast after the first hour or so of the first day of a rain storm. after a few hours of sitting in a storm and if i happen to need to lower my windows, they will not close. i've almost gotten killed in traffic on the freeway, trying to push my driver window up while rain is POURING in the window. it's rediculous.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
robgobbler said:
can someone please tell me what and where the "run channels" are for the windows? I'm assuming you mean the rubber strip that goes along the side of the window but i rubbed a bit into those strips two nights ago and the windows perform exactly as crappily as before.
Umm,

OK so you took a Q-tip and spread a thin coat up and down the entire vertical length of the rubber strip _in the groove_ that the window "runs" :?: (where glass meets rubber)

If there are any visible distortions in the run channel (from previous wear / lack of lubrication) then this will have to be straightened. Most often this means replacement of the run channel. Also a long overdue for lubrication run channel will be "dry" further down inside the door. You could disassemble the door and access the groove, but some spray silicone should do the trick. Given enough time the Shin Etsu should be able to creep lower in the channel too. Making it a longer term fix than the spray variety alone.

Finally you may already have subsequent damage to the motor / regulator. Not likely from your description, but we're working blindfolded and by remote control here. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Focus on the rubber channel to the rear of the window...

In my case, the window was binding up against the rear rubber channel near the top of the window frame, and also in the rear rubber channel within the door.

While my Shin Etsu was on order, I used silicone spray lubricant. It actually worked pretty well. It may not last as long as the silicone grease, but it readily runs down the channel into the door.

Paul

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yay, someone used the search feature!

Ok, Shin etsu grease is really only going to be preventative maintenance. When I initially had problems with the windows slowing down my car was still under warranty so I figured I'd let them deal with it. As soon as the windows started slowing down I stopped rolling them up or down when possible, took it in to the dealership and they cleaned and lubed the run channels. I had about a year left on the warranty so I went ahead and bought a tube. The dealer applied lube lasted a really long time (hence the reason I bought what they used). A really good idea before applying it is to clean the run channel as well as you can. From experience, trust me on this, don't try cleaning them with q-tips, you'll use a whole box :oops:
Take a towel, spray some cleaner on it and scoop out as much as you can beforehand then use a q-tip to apply the grease.

The theory is the window will pull it down in to the hidden portion of the run channel. If it's really bad most of the rest of the run channel can be accessed by removing the interior door panels. Still, if there is stretching, binding or other damage to the run channel no amount of shin etsu or kung foo is going to fix that.

This might also be of some use:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=460

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ugh.. these windows.

ok, thanks for the replys everybody. It sounds like i was applying this stuff in the right place, but due to a number of reasons it's not having much of a lasting effect.

I live in the bay area, it rains quite often, especially during "winter". When it's not raining, the car is at least covered in daily morning dew... I think the problem is the run channels live in a constant bath of not-so-clean percipitation of one sort of another. the shin etsu effect takes about a day to notice, then washes off within 2-3 days of continuous rain or damp weather.

since the stuff comes in syringe-looking tubes, the stash i have in my glove box doesn't look so good to curious passengers..:evil:

so i suppose i could just get the channels replaced under extended warrantee?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I can't imagine that the grease is "washing-off" in just a few days.

Seems like the track is "dirty" and probably also lower inside the door. Its a lot more work and depending on the specifics of cost and warrantability replacement of the tracks might be in order. However, removal and a thorough cleaning may also be a long term fix.

The "Goldylocks" principal applies to the amount of grease needed. Too little and no lubrication effect. Too much and it will "attract" dirt more rapidly and gum up the works the same without the grease.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It's possible the window has jumped the track and bunched up, take a close look and see. If that is the case then the only real fix is to replace it. I do know Honda Care does cover window run channels if that's the case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts