Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums for discussion about shock absorbers, but didn't find anything. Everybody talks about the Insight's rough ride. I don't mind it a bit, but my husband gripes about it, so we don't ride together as often as I would like. Is there any way to get different shocks/better shocks, or do some kind of modification to smooth out the ride?

Jennie in her Red 2000 Insight 3828
60,000 miles, more or less
Recals every 3-5 days
Getting ready to take it in for its 60,000 mile checkup

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Larger tires help alot.
Like using 185/60R14 tires at 35psi.
But this will hurt your milleage big time.
Another way is to get adjustable shock absorbers that can be adjusted for a softer ride, this will hurt the handling of the car.

I don't know about any aftermarket shock absorbers available for the Insight at this time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bigger tires? I'd go with smaller with higher aspect ratio. My 155/80/13 winter tires ride twice better than the OEM Bridgestones. I can't wait to put them on and enjoy a smooth ride 'til spring! Right now the tires are on generic Civic steel wheels, but I have VX wheels to put them on and I believe the fuel economy will be close to what it is now with those on. Let's not forget as well that 155/80/13 tires are dirt cheap.

The Insight should have come standard with 13" aluminium wheels and smaller tires. For marketing reasons, we got 14 inch wheels and wider tires. Same thinking went with putting an antenna on the roof.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Jennie, you have to determine if the rougher ride is due to increased weight when both of you are in the car. I went from a CRX which had a very stiff suspension to the Insight so it feels a lot smoother to me. I do notice that if I have a full gas tank and about 100 pounds of baggage in the extreme back end of the Insight that the ride suffers. Some have suggested that this is due to the soft suspension bottoming out on the rubber end stops.

If you put in stiffer shocks you will get more road noise and road "feel" but I don't think that is what you want. If you put in softer shocks (worn out) the car will tend to bob like a cork and will bottom out more often and more severely. That is why legnthening the travel with a spacer is probably your best compromise. Yves increased the rear travel by putting spacers between the springs and the body, thereby raising the back end an inch and increasing the travel and load capacity. (Check out his home page.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, the ride seems a lot rougher when my husband is riding with me. I think I'll leave things as they are. I'm getting 62 MPG in the city and I love the handling of the car, so I won't change anything. Thanks, everyone, for their input.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
It is surely because of the rear being lower with the peoples weight.

It was why I lifted my car's rear. It made the car 'normal'
It was not normal to bottom out in such a situation (as you).

MPG and handling is not modified (as all the original parts are kept intact), only the ride height is higher which results in a softer ride over bumps only because it does not bottom out.

People think that the ride is rough. But if you pres the rear with your hand, you can see that the coil are soft and the shocks are also soft. Only bottoming out makes the ride seems rough

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yves, can you point me to some info on how you raised your Insight? I assume this also increased suspension travel somehow, or did you just raise it with spacers of some kind?

Just returned from my first long trip in my Insight, 700 miles or so, and there were some big dips and seams (like at bridges) in the freeway that seemed to cause a lot of bottoming. Pretty unpleasant.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
The largest images are at http://yves.fungiart.com/pages/suspension.htm

The explanations are on the Hybrid group at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hon ... sage/15389

And the combo image is in the same group at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hon ... arlift.jpg

The purpose was to add more wheel travel So it does raise the rear by an inch. The inch that is added is while the spring is the most compressed and therefore it was all that was necessary to remove the bottoming out

It was with a simple plastic spacer. I got the idea after going to a wheel aligment shop that saied that they use plastic spacers to correct the rear axel wheel aligment angle (which gives more pressure to the plastic than a simple lift over the coil spring)

It has been more than a year and I am still beleiving that Honda should have made the car like I did mine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts