Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i did it, i got the 2000 Insight and I LOVE IT.

Only thing is, I notice some sqeaky sounds on bumps, perhaps the shocks? It has 50,000 miles on it. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice?

Also, what octane gas is best to use. I found a thread saying regular is fine, but have people found higher octane makes a difference?

one more thing, has anyone ever found a way to get more clearance on the vehicle as it sits pretty low and some roads here in Hawaii are pretty funky.

Thanks.....Buttrfly
8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
1) Squeaks

Be sure to check all the plastic body panels, in particular the rear wheel fairings, to make sure they are securely fastened. Nothing unnerves you more than hearing a funny sound, pulling over and finding one of your wheel panels partly slid down with a missing screw. (Keep trash bag twist ties for emergencies like this... an "ok" substitute until you can buy the $12 bolt.

Other than that, it could be ordinary car suspension sounds... you might be able to test this by standing above each wheel and firmly depressing the suspension a couple times and listen.

I've also had another car (not an Insight) that had some exhaust heat shield that kept rubbing on the exhaust in certain cases.

2) Gas octane

Low octane burns hotter... yes its true! The higher number is marketed like Ghz on a cordless telephone. (Didya see they now have 6.0 Ghz phones? People think its "better" the higher the #, LOL)

I live in Utah, and they have 85 octane there because of the higher altitude. The air is thinner and needs a hotter fire to burn correctly... so running 85 is equivilent to 87 at the lower altitudes. The reason to put in high octane fuel, is to have a cooler fire for high compression racing engines to cut down on detonation/pinging. When I had my Mercedes C230 sport coupe with its supercharged engine, I had to use 92+ octane or risk engine damage. Now I use 85 when in Utah, and switch to 87 when forced to when I drive out of the area. :)

The insight has anti-knock control that makes use of the electric motor, you can use any grade of gas and it will run fine. I've heard tell that 92 octane will theoretically get you a tad more gas mileage, but you'll pay for it with the higher price of the gas, making it at best an even trade.

Use whatever is cheapest grade gas, at a top tier gas station. (http://www.toptiergas.com), and your car will run just fine.

3) I haven't needed to do anything about clearance, but there were some threads on this forum about using Daewoo springs as a direct fit replacement.

-Shawn

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
rtm242 said:
The insight has anti-knock control that makes use of the electric motor, you can use any grade of gas and it will run fine.
I thought the ECM just retards or advances the timing when it detects engine knock. I think the electric motor is used to smooth the idle speed but I never heard of it also being used to control engine knock.

buttrfly, For the suspension noise, you might want to check out this:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4859

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.

Joe, that thread you sent is amazing... I think I got what they got... I don't have the warranty coverage anymore (just on the battery) so I'll take it to Honda with a print out of the thread and see what they'd be willing to do or not do for free, and start with the lubing and bolt checks.

Oh well, I just got it yesterday, not the greatest news, but I still love it. ;)

Aloha......B

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Many times the lubing will fix the problem for a few years (like I did to mine). If it was lubed every couple of years it may still be in good shape to lube again. However, if the rubber portion in that suspension peice is deteriorated, then Honda may say you need a new part. Also, that noise usually goes mostly (if not all) away in the summer months.

·
Registered
702 Posts
joecvt said:
Also, that noise usually goes mostly (if not all) away in the summer months.
he lives in hawaii...he doesnt have to worry about the cold like we do

also, before raising you insight, keep in mind that the height is part of the aerodynamics of the car, and could effect handling and will definitly effect the mileage(how much, i dont know)

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Sorry, forgot about the Hawaii portion :oops:

It may just mean that it hasn't been lubricated in awhile (or not at all) if you hear the noise in warmer weather. According to weather.com ... Right now its 70 degress in Honolulu....Wish I was there now with a temp of 15F and feels like -2F with the wind chill in New Hampshire :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah, I'm in Hawaii and it's in the 70's now. However it has been cooling off alot at night and really windy (have to wear longs sleeves and pants) so that may have affected the squeaky sounds I heard at night but not during the day...

Guess I should count my blessings for not being in 20 below plus wind chill!!
BTW, I'm a she not a he....

Thanks again for all the awesome info! I'm so happy to have found this wonderful forum- many thanks to whomever created it!

Aloha.....Buttrfly 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts