Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Who else wants a Shoebox Subwoofer and is willing to join/start a group buy? It may take some convincing to get John Wayland and friends to make another batch.... but it is worth a try!

Post here if your down.

-saint b

·
Registered
702 Posts
im down

just one question

i have what seems to be a CD changer compartment on the passenger side of my storage area(outside of the removable box), below the carpet level...im wondering if this is stock, is this where the subwoofer fits, and does it fit around this CD changer compartment, or do i have to remove it?

and are we gonna get the super shoebox or the original?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ikhoudvanu199 said:
im down

just one question

i have what seems to be a CD changer compartment on the passenger side of my storage area(outside of the removable box), below the carpet level...im wondering if this is stock, is this where the subwoofer fits, and does it fit around this CD changer compartment, or do i have to remove it?

and are we gonna get the super shoebox or the original?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe your changer is mounted in the sub area. That area is saved for the Japanese verison's GPS/map computer thingy.

I will accept either the super or regular. It may be a lost cause, but it will less of a lost cause if we get a bunch of people to throw it.

FYI, I work for an exhibits fabricator and we have a c+c router. That's a machine that cuts wood (etc) in any shape you want. You have to create a template in the approporate program, and then the machine will cut all the custom peices for you. This could be a last ditch meathod. I'm not a sub builder, but if we could get the demensions I might be able to ship people the pre-cut wood.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Open the hatch, on your left under the carpet is where the CD changer goes. The Styrofoam block separates to make room for the CD changer, and there is an indented channel under the rear carpet going forward for the cable.

On the right pull the "trunk" liner away and there is a much larger dead space under the rear floor, this is where the shoe box sub goes, the driver fires toward the rear quarter panel.

So a CD changer and a shoe box sub can co-exist in harmony.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Rick said:
Open the hatch, on your left under the carpet is where the CD changer goes. The Styrofoam block separates to make room for the CD changer

On the right pull the "trunk" liner away and there is a much larger dead space under the rear floor, this is where the shoe box sub goes
see, i had a changer on the left side when i bought it(there were issues with it, so i took it out)...but on the right side there is some kind of box that looks almost stock...looks to fit a changer almost perfectly and looks to be wired for it...maybe i should just take a picture... :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
ikhoudvanu199 said:
but on the right side there is some kind of box that looks almost stock...looks to fit a changer almost perfectly and looks to be wired for it
On Japanese specification Insights that is where the Sat Nav box of tricks goes....and before you ask the question, no you cannot get the Japanese Sat Nav to work in the USA (or UK)!

·
Registered
702 Posts
The Citrus Smoothie said:
On Japanese specification Insights that is where the Sat Nav box of tricks goes
does this mean that mine is a japanese model? or something else wierd?

and thanks Jim for that link, i bookmarked it, and plan to use it if i end up getting the sub

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Jim Holmgren said:
Only if your steering wheel is on the other side! :D
:lol:

and thanks for the pic citrus

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jim. Thanks for the pic.

I think I will be making my own shoebox sub after I finish my current project (basement remodel).

It looks like the sub enclosure is simpler than I thought. Maybe it is the super shoebox that has a lot of angles.

I may be able to tackle this project, in fact.

I would rather cough up the dough for a well built one, but the demand is limited so I may have only one path. DIY, baby.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that makes 4 interested parties (incl the English Kat).

We may be getting close enough to make it worth while for John Wayland, etc.

That being said I have no idea if he'd even do it... even if we gave him twice the asking price and a dozen+ orders.

I think this a good early step though. Get some numbers, and see if we can make it worth someones time.

Thanks to all, and keep em coming. I'll figure out a way to verify all the orders and facilitate the transaction if we get enough people and find a willing fabricator.

cool. saintb.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Shoebox Sub

I am good for one!

"Red, Little Engine" will be its new home if they are made. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
saintb said:
I think this a good early step though. Get some numbers, and see if we can make it worth someones time.

Thanks to all, and keep em coming. I'll figure out a way to verify all the orders and facilitate the transaction if we get enough people and find a willing fabricator.

cool. saintb.
even if he doesnt want to do it...maybe he can get the blueprints to someone else who might be willing and able to make em

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'd given up on the idea due to lack of interest, but it seems there may be some late comers... cool.

I had shifted to plan B which is to put a 12" sub in main trunk cargo opening. this is not an ideal placement, but i need some bass either way.

i haven't actually had time for anything but my job recently, so this entire project has fallen back (with the basement remodeling).

I could get some help from the woodworkers at my job to create our own enclosiers. but it won't happen for a few months, honestly.

Plan A would be to beg John W for another batch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.