Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a used Insight from a dealer. It is currently not Certified, but it can be, "for around a thousand dollars" by the dealer. Is this standard practice? Is it ethical. Let me know what you think and does anybody have comments on the Certification program in general. Thanks

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That sounds like a total rip off to me. I think all the Honda certification really is is a history check and a decent look over for any possible problems. I really don't know the specifics, but I do know that vehicles that have been in mild crashes can still be Honda certified so be careful. Honestly if you knew what to look for you'd be better off doing your own check.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Well, this comes to mind: "Adult Diapers"

In other words: Depends.

:roll:

Is the price before "Certification" (and this is just a fancy, reassuring term for "Extended Warranty") fair? Dealers tend to charge more in general, and the additional warranty charge may make the deal not a favorable one.

$1K for an extended warranty is not out of the norm. What are the terms? That would make a difference.

A little more info would help: year model, mileage, etc...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If we're talking warranty, I recently got a Honda care to 6 years 100,000 miles for $830. Isn't the certification warranty 1 year 12,000 miles?

·
Registered
124 Posts
man....you have to pay...i caught my dealership in the it could have been toyota certified and it was added at no charge for the powertrain. it would have been $453 bumper to bumper. it would go to 6 years and 60,000 miles of original purchase.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is a 2001 with 42,000 miles, it is a stick with AC (climate control). The asking price is 12,000$. I feel that the Certification (1,000$), plus tax(1,000$), plus my travel (500$) to go get it just puts it out of my range. I have yet to bargain at all. But they would have to come WAY down. If I could get out the at 12,500$ that might be OK. I really want a blue insight with a 5-speed, AC and either a honda care warranty or a certification. Can a Honda Care warranty be purchased on a used honda? I was under the impression that was only for new cars. How much can I talk them down? What would you guys ballpark guess? Thanks, this is a great forum.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
http://www.curryhondacare.com/

I got mine from them, it's real, I had it double checked at my local dealership. My car has the warranty in effect. So I guess the question is just how many miles does it have on it? It says you can get it up until the vehicle has 42,000 miles on it. You can get it on a new car, but the price stays the same until you hit 24,000 miles where the cost goes up some. I bought mine at like 23,950 so avoid the surcharge. Still, I doubt you'd beat this web price, I know I sure couldn't after inquiring at a few dealerships.

BTW, post the VIN here if by that chance someone knows the story on a certain car. I personally know of one 01 blue 5 speed with an interesting history.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input Rick. Here is the VIN on the car I mention: jhmze13511t000772. Anything on that? Also, have you ever used the Honda Care warranty? Sounds like a great program, and they have a 75$ off deal right now? Does anybody else have experience purchasing this warranty, or other insights?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Never saw that vin before so as far as I know it's good, though a carfax can go a long ways sometimes. As far as the Honda Care I haven't used it yet, I'm still under 3yr 36K. Reason I went with the Honda Care is because they pretty much are the only one that will cover the magic box. I inquired at the dealership I use for parts and warranty about an extended warranty and they sell some other brand warranty. I asked about the IMA components and battery and they said it was not covered so that scared me away. I do know that Honda Care has covered an engine replacment in an Insight at the same dealership I use though so sounds good to me.

And it sounds like you got most of the way through the web site and they sent you the email with the extra money off code right? Don't worry about that expiring, they keep doing that continually to entice you in. All in all it's a pretty good deal though, because one major warranty repair and it's likely paid for itself, plus you get towing and road side assistance.

When you purchase it they put it in effect the next business day, then send you an example contract to look over. Then about a week later you get the real one from American Honda.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Shopping

FYI: The carfax on that VIN said 2 owners, but nothing bad.

I just got my 2001 today from a Dodge dealership. The previous owner took meticulous care of it, but for whatever reason traded it in for something else.

They had had problems selling it to their customer base, and they had a really low price on it to get it out of their inventory.

My recommendation, if you have the patience, is to try to contact the non-Honda dealers on-line or otherwise. I see a couple stories like mine, where the dealer didn't know what to do with it or how to sell it, and put the price way down to get it off the lot.

Most people don't understand them at the run-of-the-mill American car dealerships, but they still get them as trade-ins.

My local Honda dealer says they will offer a warranty - but I don't know on what terms. It is still under 3 yr warranty now.

p.s. If you are the previous owner, hello!

·
Registered
741 Posts
brpeterson said:
I am looking at buying a used Insight from a dealer. It is currently not Certified, but it can be, "for around a thousand dollars" by the dealer.
My dealer charges $30 for a 100-point inspection. Tell the dealer to do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts