Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I just got my 2001 Insight I don't have the maintenance record for it. The Honda Owners site says "There are no current safety recalls for your 2001 Honda Insight" when I put in my VIN. Should I trust the site, or should I call a local dealer and have them check? I'll need to talk to one eventually anyway, didn't get the car locally or from a Honda dealership.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
The Honda Owners' web site is accurate when it comes to recalls. However, it will not tell you whether the maintenance was properly performed or your ECM needs an update. You're probably fine. Why don't you have your dealer check the next time you go in for maintenance?
Benjamin

·
Registered
123 Posts
sajego,
I bought my Insight used as you did. Fortunately my service records were very impressive and complete. I highly recommend calling a local dealership and ask them to run a check on your VIN for recalls (past and present). I just called my dealer to ask about recalls and boy am I glad, my Insight is due an ECM update!! :)
BTW, thanks goes to benjamin for the suggestion that my ECM might need to be replaced!
~Martin
2000 Silver 5 spd

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Glad to hear you've fount the solution to your problems, Martin! The formal NHTSA definition of a recall would involve something that is safety-endangering, so I guess that's why the ECM replacements/updates aren't considered recalls.

Benjamin

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok I'm an idiot

What exactly is ECM? And why would it need "updating" and/or replacing? Should my car ever need this done? It's a new '03 insight. I thought ECM was the battery system behind the driver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts