Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought a 2001 CVT with around 79k on it. It has an LMPG of around 49 but it seems to stay there (i have only had the car a week). Questions:

1. Could there be something wrong with the LMPG readout? Maybe i am not paying attention, but it doesn't seem to change. I can keep an eye on that (wrote down the number and look at it every week to see if it has changed)
2. Since I am the new owner, should I reset the LMPG so that I can see how I do or just use the trip odometers?

NOTE: the care was in Minnesota the first two years, then 5 years in SC, where I am now.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You'll get two heartfelt recommendations from the good people herein, as discussed before in thougtful debate:

1.- Leave the LMPG alone, it's part of the history of the car, and as such it should be inviolate; and

2.- Reset it now so you can gauge your mileage henceforth.

It's not moving from 49 mpg because it has spent 79K getting to that average (assuming the previous owner didn't futz with it, and since the mileage is "only" 49 mpg, I'm also assuming he/she didn't, as anyone driving an Insight and "only" getting 49mpg is not really into the subtleties and tricks of our vehicle, and probably didn't even realize such a thing could be done). That's a lot of miles to set an average. If it had only been a few hundred miles, even a few thousand, you'd see quite a bit of changes as you drive, hopefully upwards. ;)

My suggestion is, it's your car now, reset it if you'd like and don't look back, that way your mileage is your mileage, not someone else's, and it would be more helpful to you to discover the Insights capabilities in the happy driving future ahead of you. :D

Alternate ending [only available in the Director's Cut of the DVD]: Dedicate odometer B to your mileage henceforth (which resets every 2000 miles to 0, but the mpg display remains accurate)... that way you have the original LMPG and your mileage for comparison... :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Thanks for the tips on LMPG. I will use the trip B rather than reset the LMPG. :)

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I reset my LMPG, but then again my average has been quite a bit higher than the original owner.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I leave my odometer selected to the segment display almost all of the time. I use the B trip meter to measure between tanks, and the A to measure the total mileage of various trips. Then I reset the segment display almost daily to see how I'm doing as the weather, etc., conditions change.

I hardly ever look at the lifetime display...

·
Administrator
12,317 Posts
I reset my mpg.

I reset my mpg as original owner was very heavy footed and lmpg was about 65mpg at about 60,000 miles.

I have now done another 28,000 miles and lmpg is 93.7 and climbing :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: I reset my mpg.

retepsnikrep said:
I reset my mpg as original owner was very heavy footed and lmpg was about 65mpg at about 60,000 miles.

I have now done another 28,000 miles and lmpg is 93.7 and climbing :)
What year is your Insight and is it a 5-speed or CVT? Wow, that is fantastic mileage...must be the 5-speed. Thanks...I think I will reset the LMPG. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought a 2000 5 speed 3 yrs ago with 33,000 miles, 54.7 lmpg and I didn't reset the lmpg. It is now at 74.9, and I wish I had.
My goal was to see 75, and it is going to take months more for it to go up that last tenth.
I calculated my mileage based on raising it from 54.7 to 74.7, and the second owner must have reset it when he got it as I have not averaged 88mpg since owning the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I bought an 01 with 78k miles on it. The previous owner's LMPG was about 50. I figured it is my car now and wanted to see how I did driving it, so I reset it.

Took my wife and I a little while to learn how to drive the car properly but now our average is climbing slowly but surely.

Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
495 Posts
You'll get two heartfelt recommendations from the good people herein, as discussed before in thougtful debate:

1.- Leave the LMPG alone,
it's part of the history of the car, ...

Reset it now so you can gauge your mileage henceforth.

It's not moving from 49 mpg because it has spent 79K getting to that average ... even a few thousand, you'd see quite a bit of changes as you drive, hopefully upwards.
I for one would leave the Lifetime Miles "guage" alone. It is eveidence of the car's history and I believe "D" hit the proverbial nail on the head when he suggested that if you do it "right", in a few thousand miles (which isn't at all hard to do these days) you'll see an upward change in the low lifetime average MPG - and keep in mind, it wasn't you who did that to the little car.

With that said and if I may suggest, if the opportunities present themselves, try ending each day with at least 60 MPG or better for your daily average. I use the "A: guage for this. As for the "B" guage, I use it to track MPGs per fill-up - well, it works for me anyway. :)

If you try and end each day with at least 60 MPG (if yours is a CVT that is a reasonable goal. If it's a manual transmission such a goal should be quite easy to do) and once you get into the habit of doing that, it won't be too long before you start to see that Lifetime MPG move upward. I've been using this method for a few months now and have gone from a lifetime average of 53.9 to 56.6 so far. So yes, what I've suggested here does work

As for keeping logs, try keeping a daily log, using the "A" meter for daily results and clear the indicator at the end of each driving day. As for, the "B" meter, use it for MPG averages per tankful or per fillup and clear it right after you fill up or add gas - but leave the "L" or the Lifetime meter alone. I do that here, printing out a blank copy of the spreadsheet each month and I keep the log sheet it in the car, taking it out only to rransscribe the data at the end of each month - for me at least this works well enough..

Hope this helps ... and oh, by the way ... best of luck with the little beastie.

Fred / Proud Onwer of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
staying with what I got

I bought mine about a year ago with 162k miles on it and a LMPG of all of 47.2. I am now at 184k miles and 49.8. It takes forever but it does change. I do enjoy going to the gas pump after going 600+ miles. I try to average about 70 which I consider acceptable for my driving. Enjoy and remember to stay in the slower lane.

·
Registered
40 Posts
to reset or not to reset

We bought our 2003 CVT in June with 82k miles and LMPG of 47.9. I decided to reset it, but I kept track of the mileage at reset and the old mpg. I made up a spreadsheet that calculates what the LMPG would be if I had not reset it so I could have it both ways. Over 4k miles MPG is 68.3, but the spreadsheet says the LMPG without reset is 48.2. I'm glad I chose to reset.

·
Registered
230 Posts
reset it -- who cares what the previous owner did?!?!?!

bought mine at 47K with a LMPG 56.6 -I reset it and have a 71.9 LMPG :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
I bought mine a year ago in May with a lmpg of just over 61 mpg. Te previous owner (he was the second owner) had reset it when he bought it 2 years before. I reset it when I bought it and I am now up to 87.6.

·
7,200 Posts
It's not "lifetime MPG" anymore if you reset it, it's just "MPG". I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You bought and own the car which means you can do whatever you want to it - paint it, destroy it, change the LMPG, etc. Do you really need others approval to do so? Why would you care what others think? It is not the odometer, even if it was that would be your choice to change it... the only ethical thing to do would be to tell whomever you might sell it to later that you've done so.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
I totally agree with Leeper. It's your choice. You can't change the lifetime mile. (And its a federal and state law) I bought mine new, so my actual miles and mpg for averaging is exact (or close).
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Agreed with Willie and Leeper and would urge for disclosure at point of sale with the freedom of choice.
After major alterations the car could be effectively 'reborn' so to speak, ..., it could operate much differently and over the long term reflecting the new values would have merit.
If the opportunity presents, I'd be curious to note such changes over the long term such as: Before M-IMA/After M-IMA; BPhev/APhev et cetera and still retain the Trip A, Trip B, and Segment gauges for the more mundane indications.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I use Trip A for tank data and Trip B is usually reserved for keeping track of my daily use. I figured since the previous owner had already reset it I might as well do it too since I don't ever intend to let go of my little gem. So, I guess for me it is my lmpg that is being displayed. Also in my case, my lmpg is an accurate description of how the battery pack has been treated since it was replaced under warranty only 1 1/2 months before I bought it. I'm also thinking that Honda would have made it non-resettable if it wasn't intended to be changed by new owners. Just my $.02 worth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts