Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a CVT.

When I leave work for the evening I have 2 routes I can take home both same distance (35 miles):

One is straight interstate where I get about 60.8 miles per gallon going (70-75 mph)

The other route is 10 miles interstate and the rest is 20 miles state route with 4 stop lights (speed limit of 45) I get about 63.6 mpg out of that.

The question I have is:

is it better to drive flat out interstate (no shifting because your above 50mph) or take the second route and get more mpg out of the car yet subject the car to more shifting, stopping, etc....

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I'll be the first to say it: take the interstate, but drive more slowly :) which will maximize your MPG and also minimize your stop/start wear and tear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh

That's what I thought the general answer would be....the speed limit is 70...so I'll guess I'll just stick to it...

I have to take that state route on friday afternoon's because the traffic gets so backed up on the interstate.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Constant speed is also better for the engine (less stress).

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
My suggestion is to do whichever you feel like on any give trip and record how you do both ways. If there is a big difference, then you will know. If there isn't then mix it up to keep yourself from becoming an automaton.

You may find that there are up hills and down hills you don't think much about that also impact which is better.

Depending upon traffic, that can make a huge diffrenence because it will impact everything about your speed and stop starts etc.

If I run South when there is light traffic on the surface roads and all the lights are green (which is late at night) I can beat my high road mpg by a lot because I can cruise at 35 instead of 55. If there is a lot of traffic and I have to go 70 mph to avoid stopping up traffic flow, then that is bad as well.

Remember also that if you are driving toooo tooooo slowly on an interstate and everyone is revving their engines to gun it around you that you are wasting gas indirectly through the change in their behavior you have caused! Use reason common sense above all else!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
What I do in that case is swerve around drunkenly so they cannot pass, keeping their MPG nice and high. It saves them about a dollar. I know because they often later count off on their fingers for me how many dollars they save!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts