Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've called Honda on several different occasions and was told they have no information, but new models are generally release around August at the earliest. Now I hear The SUT comes out in March (honda.com). Should I go plunk down my $1000 to order the car? I suppose I could just say no thanks if it shows up the same. At 195,000 miles, my job kills a car about every 4 years, (rattles, squeaks, SRS light, lack of power, rear side body panels warping). I still won't drive anything else and it'll be paid off in a month. My thing is that if I see alot of something, I want nothing to do with it. What is the best way to order the car? Just have them put IMAS/Insight2 on the order form? I wish there was a local Insight expert that could just help me figure out where the power's gone. I could replace alot of stuff, but that takes alot of $$$ and the dealers can't spend hours with me figuring it out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Should I try to order the insight 2/IMAS or not?(frustrated)

dfiore, if your insight has over 179.000 miles on it maybe you should contact Honda USA and convince them it would make a good PR exercise to promote the longivity of hybrids.Maybe they would take it off you in exchange for a replacement as Honda UK have done here in England for a gentleman who had only completed 103.000 miles.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.

DGate

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interested in more info please

Can you give me the procedure of what ws said/done (specifically) so I can try this? I love the idea.

Dan Fiore

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Honda have not yet confirmed or denied production of the Insight 2, though the recent statement by the CEO didn't look too hot. I suspect we will find out either way during 2005.

The PR exercise Honda UK carried out is shown on their webpages -

The original search:
http://www.honda.co.uk/news/cars/20040820.html

The result:
http://www.honda.co.uk/news/cars/20040927.html

or commercial website example (which says Prius under the picture! :evil: )
http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news- ... s_id=11132

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am confused. Why would Honda replace a car just because it has 103,000 miles? My Cougar is only just now needing an engine rebuild after almost 400,000 miles, and my Tempo had over 250,000 - 103,000 miles is almost what I would consider "new."

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Foxpaw said:
I am confused. Why would Honda replace a car just because it has 103,000 miles?
Read the articles again. It was a publicity exercise by Honda UK to firstly find an Insight owner with the most miles on the clock and then when they had a winner, quoting how much that driver saved in petrol costs and how much less CO2 they had pumped out while driving.

Given that there are only about 250 Insights in the UK (and a good chunk of those are Japanese imports) plus most people's commutes are an hour or less (big generalisation), Honda did quite well to find a suitable winner!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Citrus Smoothie said:
It was a publicity exercise by Honda UK to firstly find an Insight owner with the most miles on the clock and then when they had a winner, quoting how much that driver saved in petrol costs and how much less CO2 they had pumped out while driving.
:roll: I wonder if there were any other reasons other than those-
Perhaps Honda wanted it for R&D for the next IMA car?? :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Re: Should I try to order the Insight2/IMAS or not? (frustra

dfiore said:
At 195,000 miles, my job kills a car about every 4 years, (rattles, squeaks, SRS light, lack of power, rear side body panels warping). I still won't drive anything else and it'll be paid off in a month
Honda's going to keep making the Insight. No IMAS in 2005.

I read an article about a man like you. His job required a LOT of travel. He had a Honda Civic that lasted 1.1 million miles. So why not keep your insight? It may last a million miles too!

As for power loss, are we talking about the engine -or- the electric assist?
--- If the Electric, I'd just ignore it and drive around in 4th gear.
--- If the Engine, then the dealer's mechanic should be able to fix it
troy

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 million miles!

That reminds me of the Married with Childlren episode where Al gets a big prize for his Dodge lasting 1 million miles. He has to get the odo to roll back to 0 (mechanical odo in the car) on national television in order to get the prize. Being a Bundy, he finds a way to screw that up...

Very funny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts