Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all... I hope you're staying warm this cold winter. I

have driven hybrids for over ten years -- the 2nd generation Insight disappointed me, and I moved over to a Prius ... 2016-- got great milage. near 50 regularly. City and plenty of highway driving.

Now I want to get something with CarPlay, and quieter on the road. I test drove 3 times now a 2019 Insight. Although it is cold here, I made sure the car was warmed up. Test drove it. And try as i might I could not get more than like 30/33 MPG! ugh...

I love the Insight --- and want to get it. But if this is the kind of MPG I can expect ... I don't know.

·
Registered
512 Posts
What are you currently getting with your Prius in this weather? The Prius will get about 10% better fuel economy than the Insight - average '16 Prius gets 52 mpg while the average '19 Insight only gets 47 mpg.

Cold weather and short trips will result in poor fuel economy regardless of how long you let the car warm up, although warming it up will help.

It's a '19 and likely not "broken in" yet, although it still shouldn't be getting only 30-33 MPG.

Why get an entirely new car just for Apple Carplay if your Prius is doing well?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it three years, and I had plenty of miles on it --- a fella wanted to buy it from me... he knows I take care of it. And, I also wanted something quieter ... maybe little upscale. Now I don't expect Prius MPG on the Insight ... I usually don't buy new ... by the time I buy my hybrid's they're broken in. What MPG's do you get if I may ask?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check out fuelly.com for the insight MPGs. There are over 100 listed now.

I was averaging 60+ until the cold weather and winter gas hit. Now in the high 50s. I have a 100-mile 45mph round-trip commute to work, so I'm kind of in the sweet spot for high MPG environment. Highway speeds take me down into the lower 50s.

Some have referenced a break-in period. Personally, I've seen no real difference in MPG in the 10K+ miles I've had my Insight. The biggest mitigating factor has been temperature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't go by the mileage in a test drive. Mine has definitely increased over time as things broken in and got more used to it.

Even with a highway commute with a fair number of hills and cold weather, low 40s seems pretty normal. I was able to get 51.3mpg once when it was a bit warmer (like 50F?) and was careful of speed. This is at almost 2000 miles now. And this is the Touring which has a lower rating to begin with, with those heavier wheels.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love the Insight --- and want to get it. But if this is the kind of MPG I can expect ... I don't know.
Unless you are driving 65+ MPH a lot or cold weather hits you then you should easily get 50+ MPG if driving on typical roads/terrain.

Cold weather and a lot of high speed driving can knock you down into the 40s... maybe even 30s if it's cold and you're making a lot of small trips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts