Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a 2000 manual transmission insight with about 73,000 miles on it. For the last maybe 2 months I've been having problems with the car shuttering/shaking when I'm cruising. I'll be going at a constant speed and then out of the blue the car will start jumping/shaking... many times I'll floor it to make it stop. Recently I've been shifting at really high rpms to solve the problem. When I first got the car last January I'd shift from 1st to second at about 15 mph and 2nd to 3rd at about 35 but now I'm shifting at 20 mph when the tack is at about 3500 rpms and shifting to 3rd gear when it's at about 3500 rpms when going like 40 mph. I've been going 45 mph before in 3rd gear and have had my car start jumping and shuttering... So yeah anyway... Anyone know what the problem might be? I had the honda dealer look at my car about 2 months ago and they said the clutch was fine. People have told me it might be the carberator - but the insight doesn't have one right? Now I'm thinking maybe it needs the fuel filter changed... I'm not sure.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Thanks very much!

Thomas

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
In addition to Rick's good reply I'd be _VERY_ concerned in regard to a _rich_ misfire. The Primary O2 sensor can fail without a code. Secondary $$$$ expensive damage will ocurr to the CATs. :( :cry:

See:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3749

A bit of a long sad story, but read it for the technicals of "how-to" have this sensor tested (if the EGR cleaning doesn't fix it).

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653

A fuel filter is unlikely the cause of your problem unless you had some fuel that was heavily contaminated with particulates. And almost always the symptom would be different in that pressing on the gas pedal more and revving up the engine would only make an already bad problem worse.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got the o2 sensor replaced so it can't be that. Thankfully I bought the car with a warranty so it only cost me 100 for the part and installation. It looks like it must be the egr. Thanks guys!!!!! God it would be so nice to have my car running smoothly again.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
shuddering

Warranty? What kind is it, a deductible?

Where are you in Calif. Maybe find another "Insighter" in your area to do a test drive for evaluation.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Your description sounds similar to what I was experiencing. The problem was the worst if you were trying to find the "sweet spot" where you were using just as much gas peddle as required to maintain speed, and maximize fuel economy.

My problem was definately the EGR valve.

I read descriptions here about removing and cleaning it using WD40, but I almost bought a new one instead because I just couldn't see that working. But stories of success were posted, so I figured I'd try that first, and it worked! It's been about 3000 miles since I did the cleaning and the problem is completely and totally gone.

I would recommend you find the thread where Calpod posted exactly how he cleaned his and try that before you go spending any money. You just may solve the problem like I did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Devin1955 for the input... yes that is exactly what happens with mine.. it happens at the sweet spot. I've ended up having to "hot rod" my car to avoid the problem and thus sacraficing my mpg!

Yeah I have a 100 deductible warranty on it. It covers most things i believe. I think i'm going to try cleaning it myself like several people have suggested and done. I live in Petaluma Cali... any local insighters out there?! Holla!! yeyayey!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts