Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well Im glad I got to be a test dummy for honda

I think GM has the right idea, honda should learn from them and take my car back and crush it (see ev post)

I am tired of waiting months for parts, last year waiting over a month for brake rotors for example.

I am sick of the dealers not knowing how to work on this car, sometimes i think they are doing more harm then good. They can only diagnos via computer, so if a code doesnt come up, even if something is not right, you are sol....

I have developed a fear of it, always worrying what is going to go next, worrying about when my battery is going to start recalling like theirs no tomorrow.

Also, It would be a safe bet to say that honda has spent over 15,000 bucks on my car in the past 4 years in warrenty/recall work. I would say 99% of the warrenty work i had to fight for....

Selling it or trading it in an option?? yeah right, These cars loose their value like nothing i have ever seen....

btw my insight has been off the road for the past month waiting for parts.. if im lucky i will get it back on tuesday

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I don't want to start an argument about car valuatiions, but the two used Insights that I have, based on bluebook and on current autotrader listings are actually higher in value than when I got them. One is mine. The other is my girlfriends. We have had no problems with them other than one had a stuck windshield washer squirter on the back. That works now.

I think if you buy any car new, you are bound to see a sharp drop off in price because it isn't new anymore once you take it home. However, if you buy a used car after some research and find a good price, then you can keep a heck of a lot of the value in it by just taking good care and not abusing it.

Besides, buying a used car means you won't put the first ding in her!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought this car brand new, payed full list for it

Dealers wont even LOOK at it, as soon as they hear the word insight, they say they arent interested, a few of them told me that they have seen them go to the auctions, and even at insanly low prices wont even sell. They dont want them period

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I am going to sell my Mitsubishi, and I paid the sticker back in 1999.

It is still in great shape and low miles, but likely lost 40% of value.

Maybe you should try selling via autotrader to a private party instead of a dealer. I have gotten shafted by dealers before, but I (so far) have always had a fair shake from private parties.

From my experience with buying used Insights, I would never by a new car again if I am smart. Maybe the Insights are better cars.

Maybe there should be a place in the buy/sell area here for folks who want sell cars but don't want to go the dealer route. Or maybe there is already? Ooops.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Getshocked.ca said:
I bought this car brand new, payed full list for it
Well that was your first mistake. Who pays list or MSRP for any car these days? Your second mistake was buying into a fairly new technology for consumers.

If your car has given you so much trouble I'm sure you could part it out and make a mint. Try ebay or even here and I bet you get back more than you paid for the car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I payed full list is because it was the only one available at anydealership at the time of purchase, It wasnt even there, still had to wait another 4 months till we got it

And you are right, shouldnt have bought into the new technology, but the bigger problem is

WHY DONT THEY STOCK PARTS

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
This would a dealer that should get the low stars they always beg you not to give them.

I can't see that in this day and age any Honda dealer would not be able to get parts quickly if they put their mind to it. It's not like they have to create them for you. They are just in storage somewhere else and need to be shipped to the dealer.

Maybe complaining to Honda about the dealer will make the dealer smarten up?

·
Registered
89 Posts
1 month for brake rotors???

I can't understand why you waited a month for brake rotors. The after-market sells these rotors at your local auto parts store, so you could have picked them up with zero wait time. The rotors are interchangeable with a variety of Civic models going back to 1984.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'll make you a deal. Give me $50, and I'll haul the car away and even de-rice it for free.

Seriously, I feel your frustration with the dealer. I am not happy with the service they have provided (see my LONG thread in Problems/Troubleshooting). But I have never had to wait for parts. Everything I have ordered has always come in within 2 days. So I'm not sure what's going on and why you need to wait months for something as simple as brake rotors. I've ordered the undertray and had it within a day. O2 sensors came in 2 days. The dealer says that if I was to order a cat, then it would be here in 2 days as well.

You want to talk about waiting for parts, I once waited 6 months for a fuel pump gasket from Mazda. I'm currently at 2.5+ months for the turbo oil inlet/outlet gaskets. Waited 2 months for my last engine rebuild kit.

On a general level, you have to look at the kind of car you bought. The Insight is a low production, "exotic" car. While I DO BELIEVE that the dealer training absolutely sucks (and their attitude is even worse), you need to look at it from their eyes. They HATE that they have to sell and service these cars, mainly because they have no hope of actually understanding how they work. You can get a taste of that if you read my above mentioned thread.

That said, I know how to fix my own car. My mistake from the beginning was bringing the car in for "warrenty" service when I lost assist. I should have just fixed it myself, because now it's in worse off condition then it started, and I have to make enemies of the dealer (via Honda Customer Service) to get it fixed. Maybe you're not capable of fixing the car youself. That's all right I guess. But if you are abusing the car like is indicated by your previous posts, you need to get a service manual and LEARN, or spend thousands a year at the dealer. This applies to any car.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
I'll make you a deal. Give me $50, and I'll haul the car away and even de-rice it for free.
I'll give you $100 :D. One look on Ebay or autotrader.com and you can see that that Insights do anything but lose value. How about naming this dealership you are having so much trouble with. I'd love to call them and find out about this month long wait for brake rotors.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
To get back on topic, I think that the brake parts should not be an issue as I am on my 3rd set and they are not OEM. I bought them at Car Quest. Same thing with the air filter (and oil and oil filter).

To write about the EV1, it is a real shame. I would be the happiest man to have one of those. If I could see one of the guys who decided to crush those I would kick in something.

But I agree with most of Genshock about the technician being untrained, the dealers being not to keen on working on an Insight and parts that are not stocked. It was a real pain in the first year.

For the resale price, you only loose when you sell the car. I bought it expecting not to ever sell it. So I am not concerned.
BUT it is a real advantage for those who want to buy a used car. Why buy a gas guzzler when the Insight comes so cheap. You can actually not loose too much if you buy a used Insight.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok so what exactly other than brake rotors are you having to wait for? I can feel your pain here, I waited several weeks once for a new fuse box when my original one developed a bad connection on the brake light fuse (no brake lights or regen... ughh that wasn't fun). The sad fact is yeah for those less needed parts they do have to order them and sometimes from Japan which takes a while. Of course waiting a month for brake rotors is a bit rediculous.

You can't totally blame the dealerships, but rather Honda's parts system. If they can't move it relatively quickly they don't stock it. I am curious since your in Canada if they have their own parts system or if they are allowed to get stuff from the US. I say this because I've found they actually do stock a bunch of stuff in their California warehouse, and anything thats there I can have the next business day. Any body panel I can pretty much get quickly. My ambient temp sensor's clip recently broke off and I was able to get the replacment sensor and clip kit the next day.

Sounds like maybe it's time to check in to another dealership. I would also recommend you call Honda's number and file a complaint. It seems that they can rush a part if you call and whine enough. Just sit down, take a deep breath and relax. Once you get the car back and drive it you'll realize you'd miss it if it were gone. I was really tempted to sell mine once too when I was having problems.

P.S. I'd be in California with the Vigil if I could.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well things I have had to wait for for atleast 3 weeks
Catalitic Converter
Engine Mount
Clutch
Window Run Channel
Brake Rotors (I redid mine this year as well, and got them from carquest next day)
02 sensor
Under Panels

Things I have had to wait more probably 5 weeks
Interior Carpet
Side mini window (when my car got broken into)
Front Hood (when my car got broken into)
Tail Light (Vandalized when my car got broken into)
Rear Bumper (Vandalized when my car got broken into)
Air Conditioner
Front bumper (When I hit the reckoon)
all front tiebars (When I hit the reckoon)

I cant even remeber everything else

And No they will not pull parts from the states, they have a warehouse in vancover and it never has stuff in stock, they ship it on a boat from Japan

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Getshocked.ca:

Things I have had to wait for 1 day for.

An O2 sensor the same day I drove it off the lot.

___I wouldn’t know how long other items would take because nothing else has ever broken ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1h8kyvgm][email protected][/email:1h8kyvgm]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
"What's a reckoon? Some sort of Canadian thing"?

Perhaps a racoon?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
"What's a reckoon? Some sort of Canadian thing"?

Perhaps a racoon?
C'mon, it was a wreckoon, given the extent of the damage reported. I know you Canucks grow'em big up there :!:

Seen one 40lb "baby" myself. :shock: But this one must have been a 100lb granddaddy.

<VBG>
apologies to Rick & Yves and GetShocked.ca

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with Aaron Cake - the Insight is an exotic specialty car - why would you expect parts availability to differ from other exotics like a Ferrari or other rare cars like a GT40?

I'd say that the service I've gotten so far is quite good in comparison to what I would expect to recieve with a different exotic car.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Getshocked,

The insight was made for excellent mileage, which it does really well, it's not about the car, it's about the driver, if you drive this car the way it was meant to be driven it should last for many years, I have 121,000 + MILES on my insight and it still has the original brakes (no worry, I just checked them today)

Looks to me like your Insight has been abused, if you take a poll on this forum I don't think you will find that many people needing to replace a clutch or a motor mount.

I used to drive that way long time ago, I wore out and even broke clutches, motor mounts, and even had a battery come out of the battery tray and hit the fan, but I know better now.

I think you will eventually learn from your mistakes and drive the car the way it was intended to be driven, as for the "Wreckoon" I've never heard of such a thing. :twisted:

How much are you asking for your Insight?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.