Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a number of threads here on the topic, I was fairly prepared for the fact that my driver's side window was slower in both directions than the one on the passenger side...and fully expected a "molasses-like" condition through the dead of winter, including needed to help the window up.

Just yesterday, when I took my Insight in for an oil change, I asked the dealer's service tech to put some of their Honda lube in the window channels. He seemed very familiar with the condition...and the request.

When I got the car back, the situation seemed far from improved. The window's motions were slower than before. And, when I got home, it had to take about 3 tries to get all the way to the up position.

This morning I got in the car to go back to the dealar, lowered the window...and it stayed down (wish our dogs were that good). I took it back to the dealer with the window still stuck down...and this time they pulled the interior door panel to discover that apparently the window had come out of the run channel and the regulator had become bent in an attempt to raise it. I have no idea if this all happened yesterday...or if the condition was already there, sort of "laying in wait" for the chance to fail completely (and on the day that the silicone lube was applied).

Anyway, they tell me that these two parts (the run channel and the regulator) are needed...and that no other dealer in town has them in stock either...and they need to be ordered on a pay-up-front basis...to the tune of more than $400. At least they were nice enough to get the window back in the run channel and raised up.

Well, I'll do it if I have to ...but I thought I'd check here to see what everyone's experience has been...and to see if it's reasonable to think these parts could be located over the internet through used/salvage parts search services.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...I went to the site and registered. But, as a product of American Honda, I'm not sure what info you expect I'll find there that the dealer isn't already telling me. I thought that maybe this site had a community board where, as you said, I could "send some questions." But apparently I'm not seeing the value here that you're seeing. So enlighten me, please.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
xqqqme:

Reads to me like the regulator had already failed. The Insight uses a _cable_ regulator "system". A "bent" part description is a little confusing, 99/100 the cable guide(s) break due to overloading and aging plastic embrittlement (seems like you might have waited too late for the lube job). It simply can't "jump" out of the run channel without an abnormal external force, usually resulting in breakage of the regulator. The window _then_ is allowed (incorrectly) to jump out of track _due_ to the broken regulator.

If the run channel has also been creased such that it will add to the regulators load regardless of lubrication then it too should be replaced.

IMO neither of these parts are a good value "used" (too much deteoriation with age and no way of "easy" inspection to determine what you get).

New Honda parts discounted on the web :?: Google is your friend :!: :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trekker, is the regulator affixed somehow to the motor? In other words are they all one unit? The dealer said nothing of the motor but I'm hearing from an online used parts search that they show as one.

I certainly see your point about the questionable wisdom of used parts for this...I might have to reconsider. But, geez, $400+ !!!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
IIRC its a regulator / motor assembly. Search the web's online parts catalogues for the definitive answer. :)

Yup :!: Majestic (one of several online choices) lists the regulator for $189.84 and the run channel for $38.94. (Now's when the price of the FSM more than pays for itself, DIY )

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... OR+WINDOWS
(make sure your specific make and model is the same as the one I used to look this up)

Happy wrenching :!: :)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Don't know about parts, but my driver's side window will also jump out of the channel if I wind it completely down. I generally leave it up an inch or two, but if I forget, it's fairly easy to get back in the track. Wind it up just a hair, enough to get your fingertips on the glass, then pull in while winding in up the first inch or two. (If you look closely, you'll see that due to the rounded edge of the glass, it's actually out of the door channed when it's all the way down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
James, in my case, whatever happened inside the door, the window was down and would not come up. The motor or regulator was sure trying...but not enough of the window came up to even get fingertips on, much less grab it and pull it in a particular direction.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Maybe something is broken, but I'm darned if I can figure out what. I've had the door panel off several times, and watched the mechanism in action. Seems to work smoothly enough, it's just that there isn't any channel at the lowest part of the window's travel, and enough play in the window that when it goes up, it doesn't always enter the channel properly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trekker, sorry for being a bit tardy but I was getting out of town on a business trip that doubled in length the day before I was to leave. Thanks very much for the link to Majestic....I gather they are a well respected dealer, then? Approx $230 for the regulator and the run channel (plus shipping) makes for a nice "middle ground" between the $420+ cost the dealer gave me for the new parts and the $150 price I had already received for used. It might be hard to pony up almost $300 additional for my dealer's price over the used...but it's not hard to see the value of the $80 premium of "discount new" over used. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"So you do need a hint or is it now clear"

No, it's not clear - so far from it, in fact, that I don't even see your point, so I suppose you'd better supply the hint.

Are you saying that because it doesn't enter the channel correctly, it must be broken somehow? But the other side binds a bit near the top of its run: does that mean it's broken too? And the screen on my patio door sometimes comes out of its track: is it broken?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Insightful Trekker said:
Thanks for the follow-up :!: :)

Just remember the run channel _may_ still be optional. ;) :)

HTH! :)

For as (comparatively) little money as the run channel is, wouldn't I be motivated to go inside that door only once and take care of both the channel and the regulator at the same time? Heck, if I make this DIY as you've suggested, I've got to start by even figuring out how to get the door panel off ! :) You know...maybe I should check out my "crackling" speaker while I'm in there!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Insightful Trekker said:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Insight&catcgry2=2002&catcgry3=3DR+DX+A%2FC&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=DOOR+WINDOWS
(make sure your specific make and model is the same as the one I used to look this up)
I notice you entered 2002 as the model year. Mine's a 2001...and when I enter that, I'm pretty sure it's the same drawing that comes up. In fact, would this part have changed at all through the entire production run of the Insight?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts