Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I was wondering if anyone else has a significant other who tried to talk them out of getting an Insight due to it being "impractical" and potentially difficult to sell as it gets older since it's out of production and "unusual" from a technical perspective.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't worry about the significant other...she wasn't crazy about it looking at pics, but I knew she'd come around.

It was the dog I was worried about. No probs, sassy loves the big bed in back.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
As a technologist, I'm unusual from a technical perspective myself so it's a perfect match for me. :D

The Insight is still ahead of its time, and like most things new, there are those that get it, those that will eventually, and Ludites. Hey, I was a late bloomer when it came to computers.

Driving twice as far on half the gas is cool, saving the planet is cool, aluminum cars are cool. The Insight is holding it value well.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My wife was hesitant at first, but we've gone on several long vacations and find that there is plenty of room for what we need. She does insist that the A/C be set at 70 and that we travel at the posted speed limit, however, which is no ideal. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought my first Insight before I met my current SO... after we moved in together, he "stole" the car from me because he loved it so much. I recently bought a second one so I could have my own again! :-D

Why don't you show your hesitant wife the article that has been posted on the forum about how these cars are holding their value? Maybe that will help convince her. Or maybe you need to "do the numbers" for her. Or, if logic doesn't work for her, just tell her, "this is the car I'm getting, deal with it!" (Ooops, probably not a good thing to say... ;-) )

Good luck,
-fly

·
Registered
702 Posts
well i havent had a long term SO since i bought the insight...but all my friends seem to love it and think its a very cute car and love the fact that i am saving the environment

·
Registered
107 Posts
My wife likes our Insight a lot! She teaches high-school AP Environmental Science (and AP Chem) so it's a good fit from that perspective. Plus, other teachers and her students like the "look" of the Insight.

She likes driving it because it's smaller than her Subaru (Forester) and while it's more difficult for her to get in and out of than the Subaru, it's lots easier than my Miata in that respect!

Plus, she gets 600 + miles from a tank of gas, so that makes her feel better about the Insight too.

Rick
2006 CVT

·
Registered
323 Posts
My husband HATES the insight. he will not drive it or be driven in it. He comes from a fast car, big engine world and just does not get it. he gets why i like it, but he hates he. I really could care less what he thinks about my car. He thinks it is very silly looking, which is possibly true. I love the Jetsons look to it! To each their own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to add... he's tall

I forgot to mention that my SO is a tall guy. He's 6'4" and more of it is torso than it is legs. He's worried he'll feel cramped in the Insight.

He doesn't want to feel obligated to use his car when we go on our 11-hour trips home to Philadelphia (he has a new Infinit G sedan, and we've been very worried when we've parked it on the street in South Philly - the streets are so narrow and people park so close.)

His primary objection to the Insight as the long-roadtrip car, besides that he might not fit in it well, is that there isn't much storage space, and most of what there is is in plain view. He likes to take a cooler so we can bring home cheesesteak meat, cheese, sausages, etc. We often go home in the cold weather, so we each have a large suitcase, plus he usually has his laptop bag, too. I told him there's the well in back for a small cooler, and just enough room in the back for our bags, but he doesn't agree after seeing an Insight up close the other day (a very nice fellow let me stop him and took the time to show off his red 2001 with a tiny black Honda pinstripe. He LOVES his and will not part with it until it is cold and dead. He's the first owner, too. 100,102 miles and zero major troubles, just a starter battery replacement and a tire change.)

My SO also doesn't know how to drive a 5-speed. I offered to teach him.

He said that if I get the car he doesn't want to hear a word from me when he suggests we rent a car to do the trip in, and that I should consider my half of the rental as part of the cost of this car.

The truth of the matter is that, for at least 300 days a year, probably more, this car's sole function would be to haul me, alone, back and forth to work, about 17 miles each way. And it might get employed to take the recycling to the collection center and then to get the groceries.

He thinks that since I do so little driving I could do almost as well in gas mileage by getting a small, practical, regular-style sedan, such as a Civic or Corrolla. He feels I'd get a newer car for less money than I'd pay to get a 2000 or 2001 Insight, and there would be less risk and more utility overall.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Forgot to add... he's tall

youdecide said:
I forgot to mention that my SO is a tall guy. He's 6'4" and more of it is torso than it is legs. He's worried he'll feel cramped in the Insight.
That's an important point, "youdecide" -- I don't think it kills the deal entirely, though. My SO is 6'3" and loves the Insight -- he's mostly tall in the legs, though; he has plenty of room to be comfortable as a driver or passenger. Head clearance may be an issue for someone who is tall in the torso (maybe other tall people can comment?).

The car has drawbacks for people on long trips. You can't recline the seats very far, because of the battery pack/wall. The hatch area holds a lot, but once you run out of that space, you have no more (no back seat, no room behind the seats, etc.).

I guess the new-style Prius is out of your price range? (I know it was out of mine!) There's plenty of headroom and legroom in the new-style (2004+) Prius for tall people (the old-style is not so good for tall people).

Good luck with your decision; I'm not sure anyone can sway your SO on this one, as he seems to be pretty set against it despite the fact that most of the year you'd be using the car solo. Sorry if my earlier response came off as sassy -- usually the ones who are against technology or think the Insight is limited in functionality are female (it's ok, I can say that, I'm female! :) )

-fly

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm 6'4" and have a good 5-6" of headroom in my Insight with the seat slid all the way back and not close to fully reclined.

I'd say the car is perfect for your purposes. No reason to haul additional vehicle around town if it's just you, right? :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 6'3" and the only hardship I find is for getting down into it...your butt is barely off the ground.

My older parents (mid 60's) can't get into a vehicle so low so easily.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've filled my Insight with 4 tires plus camping gear and 2 people. If you need more room then that for a road trip, I say you are bringing to much stuff. And if a large cooler takes to much room buy a smaller one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Before I got my Insight, it was the dealership who was trying like h**l to talk me out of it. It almost made me wonder if Honda offered less commission on a car that already loses money for each unit sold. And I was also worried about how much room there would be until I saw one on the road one day. I saw where the guy was turning into an Office Depot so I just followed him. I walked up, he put the window down and I told him I'd like to ask a few questions about his car. He got out, standing >6'3" tall and said "what would you like to know"? I told him he just answered my biggest question :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Prince Valiant, are you taller in the torso or in the legs?

Thanks to everyone who responded. I showed my SO your replies. He didn't believe that Guillermo got 4 tires AND camping gear into his... LOL... but he did soften up some. We looked up the specs on the car at Edmunds and he said that the 38.? inch headroom was about average, and actually a bit better than some cars he's seen. He was briefly concerned about the acceleration (0-60 in 11.? seconds) but I showed him that many other NEW small cars on the road today do worse than that, and explained that the Insight is pretty snappy from 0-30 due to the IMA.

I've decided that I can't fly out to buy one until I've gotten the chance to put him in one for a test drive. Now I need to find another Insight owner in the Knoxville, TN area who would be interested in letting us try his or hers... anyone know an Insight owner in these parts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
youdecide said:
Prince Valiant, are you taller in the torso or in the legs?
I'm perfectly built and proportioned, Adonis-like, and exquisite in every way. :lol:

Hard to say which...6'3" with a 33 inch inseam...so I kind of split the diference b/w torso tall and leg tall. Either way, even if I was disportionately torso tall, I'd still have enough headroom...so much so that I could wear my cowboy hat to the last concert I went to and still have no probs ;)

And as far as acceleration goes, understand that I have built and race cars for drag racing, occassionally racing now even. For a daily driver, and with a 5 speed, this thing is "peppy"....although that's not to be confused with quick or fast. It's fast enough for traffic, for sure...and even when you need to drive it hard, you'll still pull down 50+mpg in city driving...

·
Registered
88 Posts
youdecide said:
I've decided that I can't fly out to buy one until I've gotten the chance to put him in one for a test drive. Now I need to find another Insight owner in the Knoxville, TN area who would be interested in letting us try his or hers... anyone know an Insight owner in these parts?
I'm in Nashville, I believe InsightfulTrekker is in Knoxville.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I go to Costco for my business once a week and stuff my lil Insight like a clown car. 4 cases of water, paper towels, toilet paper, cups, food, laundry detergent, cases of bleach, etc. :D 8) :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
When my wife saw her first picture of the Insight, her comment was not again. This refers to my purchase of an 85 Avanti back in 1992. Upon seeing that car for the first time, her comment was "That is the ugliest car I have ever seen". Over the years the Avanti grew on her to the point she has her own now. I purchased the Insight and now that car has become her favorite one to drive. Maybe another Insight will be in our future for her exclusive use

Gary in PA
2005 Insight, 2002 Avanti convertible, 1988 Avanti LSC, 1985 Avanti (Too many unique vehicles?)

·
Registered
495 Posts
... tried to talk them out of getting an Insight due to it being "impractical" and potentially difficult to sell as it gets older ...
Have you shown her the current asking prices on these used little cars?

Is she aware that the 2005 and 2006 models are are now selling for a higher value than they did when they were new? Probably has something to do with the higher gasoline prices. :)

Hard to sell? Not from what I've been seeing for the past year or so.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts