Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching through here forever trying to get a clear answer to this question.
No luck.

I am waiting on the parts to my grid charger to arrive and would like for this vehicle to be operational for the time being. All of my other vehicles get less than 20mpg, this one gets 42 in it's current condition.

Unfortunately, no A/C means non operational in my book.

So anyways, is it possible to retain the A/C when doing a simple IMA bypass(no arduino)?

As always, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A/C and IMA have nothing to do with one another. If your A/C isn't working, it's an issue with the A/C.
I've read that. But, my A/C is bone chillingly cold right now and when the IMA was disconnected the compressor wouldn't kick on.

I'll do the IMA disconnect again and see if maybe it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
833 Posts
A/C and IMA have nothing to do with one another. If your A/C isn't working, it's an issue with the A/C.
ECU controls a/c compressor clutch on or off.

If you simply flip the switch to off in the IMA battery, ECU might keep the a/c compressor off for reason we, as users, do not understand.

I experienced A/C not working when the IMA battery switch is turned off and A/C working again when the IMA battery switch is turned on even with the IMA/CEL on.

So anyways, is it possible to retain the A/C when doing a simple IMA bypass(no arduino)?
Possible? Yes. But it is probably much more work than you are willing to do. Basically you want to turn on the a/c clutch manually, same idea as my A/C cut out project, but in reverse.
https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/123439-c-compressor-cut-out-arduino-project-2.html#post1430003

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I just took it apart and disconnected the BCM and turned the switch off and the A/C did not work.

What happens if the BCM is disconnected and the breaker switch is on?

I don't want to do anything permanent yet, as I would like to retain the IMA system once I fix up the batteries.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You read my mind.

I flipped it on, tried it out and still nothing.

This little car is going to drive me batty, I love it so much. But it doesn't like me 😛

I may just have to get an Arduino for the heck of it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
You can add an Arduino to your existing harness and leave the harness reversible easy enough.

There is zero need to cut all wires and connectors off. Solder 7 wires into the Arduino and splice those into the harness, join two set of 2 wires together, cut the white/green wire, and tape up everything and you're done.

I'm not sure why everybody thinks they need to cut all the wires/connectors off and "need to by spare harness" to do this mod.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll look deeper into it and decide what to do.

I really hope I can keep the IMA system going indefinitely. I would like to keep this car in original working order for posterity. After purchasing it, I realized how rare they were becoming.

I also want to get an electric car, but I'm waiting till they get the battery situation figured out before I drop that kind of money.

>1000 mile range and <30 minutes to charge it up and I'll be a convert. I'm sure we will get there one day, it just needs to hurry up and be that day.

·
Linsight Designer
1,788 Posts
To my knowledge, the only IMA-related interaction that could keep the AC from turning on is if the 12 volt rail drops too low. However, I've never seen the behavior you describe; my AC continues to work even when the IMA system is completely removed (i.e. slowly discharging the 12 volt battery while driving) and no 'fooler' is installed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To my knowledge, the only IMA-related interaction that could keep the AC from turning on is if the 12 volt rail drops too low. However, I've never seen the behavior you describe; my AC continues to work even when the IMA system is completely removed (i.e. slowly discharging the 12 volt battery while driving) and no 'fooler' is installed.
Was the Green/White wire cut on the vehicle you are talking about?

That's the only part of the bypass that I have not done.

On a completely unrelated note, I stuffed some foam(metal roofing closure strips) into the rear engine mount and eliminated the last of the rough takeoff vibrations. I'll watch how that works over time and probably fill them with some caulking, for a more permanent fix. I was amazed at how dramatically it improved the takeoff smoothness.
Small successes keep me going!

All I have left to do is refresh the battery and it will be back in business.

Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Yes it is!

Is the battery pack switched Off? Check
Is the BCM disconnected? Check
Is the IMA dash light illuminated? -if so pull the IMA fuse -Interior Fuse #24 located behind/underneath drivers side dash. A/C should now work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was the Green/White wire cut on the vehicle you are talking about?
Yes, the WHT/GRN wire is cut in every G1 I own. It's a no brainer in my book.
That's good to know, thanks. I guess I will go ahead and cut it whether the IMA is working or not.

Yes it is!

Is the IMA dash light illuminated? -if so pull the IMA fuse -Interior Fuse #24 located behind/underneath drivers side dash. A/C should now work.
Yes, the IMA light is on. I'll check that fuse later, if necessary and let you know how it works.

I removed the entire battery earlier today, so I could start to refresh the sticks. Hopefully that will solve everything!

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
That's good to know, thanks. I guess I will go ahead and cut it whether the IMA is working or not.

Yes, the IMA light is on. I'll check that fuse later, if necessary and let you know how it works.

I removed the entire battery earlier today, so I could start to refresh the sticks. Hopefully that will solve everything!
IMHO, 0% chance of "refreshing" the sticks, putting all 20 back in and having it "solve everything". Ensure you don't skip the self-discharge test. Let them sit at least a week and assess how much voltage/charge they've lost in 7 days. Almost no one does this.

Did you try grid charging/discharging the pack? That gets you results just as good with WAY less time and effort.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes it is!

Just for future reference, this made the A/C work perfect. Thanks.

Also, I finished fiddling with the battery and re installed it. All lights are gone and everything seems to be working peachy. I'll get more in depth on my other thread when I have some time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts