Honda Insight Forum banner

Sirius Antenna

2893 Views 19 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  bchurchwell
Hi everyone, one of my christmas presents was a XM satellite add on kit. While the thought was nice I couldn't stand having an add on reciever stuck to my dash somewhere so I decided to return it and use the money for what I really wanted. A new deck thats Sirius ready. I've ordered the deck and am waiting for it to arrive still and in the mean time I went and got the deal where you agree to subscribe for a year and buy the antenna and you get the brain unit for free.

So the only antenna they had was a magnetic mount. I told the genius at Best Buy that I had an alluminum roof and it was not going to work all that easily though he assured me that some double sided tape would work, which I was kind of planning on using. So I got it home and I started reading the manuals and came across something that could possibly kill my plans. It states that the antenna must be mounted on a conductive metal surface. Now they do also make a stickey pad mount antenna too but I can't find anything locally but the magnetic mount ones. I was thinking if I put tape on this one that it would insulate it too well and it might not work. Does anyone know if this would or would not work?

This is already bothering me enough at the fact that I'm going to have to stick this to my paint because they no longer seem to make the glass mount antenna's. I tried calling, but they closed early today so I'm stuck waiting until friday at the earliest so I was hoping someone out there knew.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
614 Posts
I have an XM antenna (with the Delphi Roady) mounted on the dash INSIDE my car (not an Insight, yet). It is a magnetic mount, but I stuck it up there with velcro.

Call me a rebel. They say in no uncertain terms in the manual to not do this because of possible intermittent reception problems. I thought it wouldn't hurt to try it out like that, and it makes it a lot easier to install.

I have had it for about a month and the reception seems fine.... never know till you try.

· Registered
614 Posts
Re: alternate XM antenna install

ScottH said:
The rf modulator is sitting in the glove compartment, and the power is tapped from the cigarette lighter behind the dash, so the cigarette light can still be used for the massage chair or the cell phone.
Hey, that's about the same set-up I have. I stuck my Roady, on its mounting stand, on the space beside the power socket, but i find it a little hard to see down there.

I am using the line-out jack (the one that can be used for the cassette adapter, but I don't have a cassette player) plugged into an AUX input on the front of my head unit and I plugged the power into the power socket (cig lighter).

And my antenna is on my dash, INSIDE my car. Works fine.

I am getting the typical ignition noise in the signal. Do you get any noise with the FM modulator? How did you tap the power without using the plug-in transformer?

thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.