Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

After driving through a 1+ feet of water in a poorly drained intersection, I noticed a horrible scraping sound. I pull over, look underneath, and see this thing is bent. Not sure what this under cover piece is called. A skid plate, belly pan, or underbody shield?

From what I can tell, it has 6 bolts that are still holding it in place in the rear and 2 bolts in the front that're now completely missing.

Is this something that's easy to replace that any mechanic can do?

Where can I buy a replacement part? Is this something any local mechanic can replace? If not, I have a trusted mechanic in Los Angeles, CA, USA.
I'm guessing it's not safe or advised to drive without a skid plate.

hxxps://imgur.com/a/mYCux0Y

replace xx with tt in url to see all inital images before the fix

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,624 Posts
Contact Scott at Jue Motors in Covina, 909-6053810...9-5PM daily. Safe to drive with a bent pan.

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
Where can I buy a replacement part? Is this something any local mechanic can replace? If not, I have a trusted mechanic in Los Angeles, CA, USA.
I'm guessing it's not safe or advised to drive without a skid plate.
Those are not skid plates, they are aerodynamics underbelly parts. If they were skid plates, they would be 1/4 steel with much more subatantial mounting.

It is perfectly safe to drive the car without the metal plate and the two plastic plates, if you can get them off. You could also hammer them back into rough location and tie them up with plastic wire ties or metal wire - until you can get them fixed.

The parts may be available used if you post a WTB add in the buy/sell section. Any competent mechanic can replace them, particularly if they see the old stuff before removal.

You can get the parts from any Honda dealer, or order on-line at Majestichonda.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Contact Scott at Jue Motors in Covina, 909-6053810...9-5PM daily. Safe to drive with a bent pan.
Thanks for the contact. I'll have a friend come out tonight to evaluate it and possibly remove it so I don't have to drive it scraping the road or get it towed for 15 miles. I have AAA, maybe I can get some free towing.

I'll contact Scott within a day, take his advice on what to do, see how long it takes to order and replace the thing. I might not be able to do anything with the car until some Friday or the weekend. I'm busy with college & work.

I'll try to remember to post the results on this thread afterwards.

edit: I'm going to contact a few other people for some advice and wait for some others before I contact Scott.

·
Super Moderator
5,424 Posts
Just unbolt the two plastic pieces and the bent aluminum piece for now. Fix it right later.

Sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had a friend with a carjack, screw drivers, and a hammer. After being asked which part of the car frame support, I read the manual and realized I have a carjack near the spare tire in the car.

Detaching the metal sheet was easy enough. There were bolts, screws, and these metal clips with a hole for a screw that're used when the rubber of the bumper rips. Was missing some clips and screws, but managed to find some replacements. Hammered the metal sheet completely flat.

It took a while to figure out how to reattach it. My friend thinks there's missing parts which he imagines to be oval shaped with two holes in to bind together the front parts of the metal sheet and the bumper.

I'll give it a week of driving around to make sure it's stable. The only hacky thing is the wires that secure the connection in two spots in the front.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.