Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about 5 minutes into my trip home last night, just as i was getting on the on-ramp to the freeway, i noticed the water temp gage was about 1 or 2 bars from the red! it _never_ does that! it usually warms up to a bit below 1/2 way and stays there. always. so.... oh sh!t mode on...

i did a FAS and coasted to a safe place to check it out. the temp gage started going down right away. i checked under the hood and found the water overflow can was full. and the aero cover looked wet. the upper radiator hose was warm, but not as hot as i thought it should be.

i got back in and fired it up. temp was fine. got back on the road and the temp shot up. i backed off the throttle and the temp went back down. so i drove it home, slowly (45-50). i was showing about 45 mpg at 50 mph. pretty bad. and i was into a good tank, too. :(

this morning i checked it out more fully. turns out the hose on the underside of the cap on the water overflow can fell off of the nipple and was lying on the bottom of the can. so the system could vent extra coolant to the overflow tank, but could not draw any back in.

i refilled the radiator and overflow tank and all seems well. doesnt seem to need bleeding. got 73mpg going to work. 40 degrees out this morning, so thats actually pretty good.

the only thing i can think of that could have caused the hose to fall off? i changed the headlights a couple of weeks ago, and i had to remove the overflow tank. maybe when i removed the cap i partially disloged the hose? i dont remember removing the cap, but who knows...

anyway, just a note in case anybody else has a similar problem.

btw, my first car (a fiat 850 spyder) had almost the same thing happen to it! the hose was a metal tube, and it corroded off and fell to the bottom of the tank. same symptoms, same outcome! a bit over 30 years ago. bad CARma?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well I'm not sure you can call a hose falling off and one corroding off the same thing ;) . Anyway, thats something to expect in the FIAT :lol: . My dad's X 1/9 blew a cv joint on the way home from the dealer...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, Fix It Again, Tony!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting. When I frst brought my (used) '06 Insight home I went through a complete checkover in teh garage, which included checking the CVT fluid level. The manual requires a warm-up "until the radiator fan cycles", then shutting off the engine, waiting at least 60 but no more than 90 seconds and checking the fluid level on the trans dipstick. So, it was about 45 degrees in the grage. I started it up and the thing ran for over 20 minute, the fan NEVER came on! The engine and cooling system are so efficient the damn theing never got hot enough to cycle the fan. Says something about outstanding engineering!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts