Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it now a 70mpg motorhome? I mean we get great mileage right? why not go places?

Iv achieved the near impossible with this --- it's like honda tried to lock me out of doing it but - welp - I did it anyways lol

Can't beat it for solo trips and just leaving one seat out, but technically everything fit's in the back so you could still carry two people with both seats and when camping have a car/tent that sleeps one inside the car,,,

ok so pics; as you know there's limited space in one of these cars --- and honda felt the need to make it even more limited by creating that large hump at the already high back trunk area, probably to save stuff from plowing into people when you hit the brakes,,, and it would be a major alteration to take that piece out and try to keep strength and everything ---- so I could not even spare losing 1/2" due to putting plywood over the top -- so I went with the cars theme --- aluminum,,,

DSC05607.jpg

This fits (and hugs) the "hump"

DSC05604.jpg

then there was the making of the telescoping struts (compliments of a friends old blown out 4 runner rear hatch lifts),,,
DSC05612.jpg

install height pins --- then there's the vertical ones I got sticking out just for demonstration as that's what holds the plywood to the struts...

DSC05613.jpg

then the basic "walla moment" dog even has a place to sleep lol

DSC05616.jpg

The mismatch in level at the back is taken care of by 3 pieces of home creepo foam board,,, the plywood and foam board all fit in the back section and get strapped down - foam on top of board --- behind that handy hump so even in a roll over (god forbid) it's going nowhere and not going to decapitate me or anything like that...

DSC05600.jpg

Im 5'9" 170 and I can totally stretch out,,, 6' would be a little crunched im sure,,, the lack of height room takes a little to get used too and I got to buy some window shields and stuff because yeah you totally feel like your on "display" and im thinking it would be pretty weird to have people driving by staring at you sleeping at rest stops and stuff, plus I got a habit of drooling on my pillow when im really tired - not a pretty sight im sure...

all this "crap" can actually be "assembled" for sleep mode while your sitting in the drivers seat (rain storms or whatever, that's solo of course with bringing just one seat)

So there you have it - next time someone tells you that you cannot sleep in a G-1 laugh at them... tell them you take it camping... and oh yeah - that it gets 70+ mpg's and then turn the tables and ask what their motorhome gets? probably gets awkward silence lol

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You wouldnt be the first one sleeping in their insights. I saw some cool setup at my first insightfest at a fellow members home..its the perfect travel buddy.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've considered something similar except mine would have the plate there continuously and I'd store sections of memory foam mattress under it that could be put on top when in use and still have full visibility when not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've considered something similar except mine would have the plate there continuously and I'd store sections of memory foam mattress under it that could be put on top when in use and still have full visibility when not.
I just use a half inch camping pad that rolls up, your already at a barebones minimum for space height wise so you really don't want to sacrifice too much room, also - I would never actually drive with it in place just in case a side impact it's 5/8" plywood and it's not going to budge...

Last but not least - and this was by accident, I found that the aluminum adapter plate fits right on top of the tailgait hump also, so if I carry one extra thing I can have a table for when I get the car tent that allows for the hatch to be open... strong enough to sit on so technically you can have your very own tailgait party, just don't invite any friends...

DSC05649.jpg
DSC05650.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got to buy some window shields and stuff because yeah you totally feel like your on "display" and im thinking it would be pretty weird to have people driving by staring at you sleeping at rest stops and stuff, plus I got a habit of drooling on my pillow when im really tired - not a pretty sight im sure...
I bought my Insight from the owner of http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/start.html - he might have some suggestions for this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts