Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor was parked behind me not in a designated parking spot and I inadvertantly reversed into her car. I'm completely at fault for this but have previously reminded them not to park there as it's not a parking spot but room to reverse.

I am on the hunt for a rear brake light assembly and dire need of bodywork I suppose. I'll have to call around.

I can't believe I did this. 馃槗

Registered
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Brake light assembly is ordered at imo not too high of a price. I'll be calling body shops tomorrow.

Quite expensive for what I thought would be a coffee

Super Moderator
The bumper dent will probably pop back out. It will probably have to be removed (easy) and a heat gun will help.

Sam

Reactions: Nolaman and Vivila

Registered
Sorry to hear about that. In this time we all have things weighing on our minds. I sat here in this chair all day long. ADD. I have an assignment that I need to turn in but writer鈥檚 block. I鈥檓 glad it wasn鈥檛 worse. Godspeed.

Super Moderator
Brake light assembly is ordered at imo not too high of a price. I'll be calling body shops tomorrow.

Quite expensive for what I thought would be a coffee
There is a metal beam bumper behind your damaged plastic cover. From the alignment of the bumper cover, I don't think you actually hit hard enough to damage the beam or its mounting so the only issue is probably the plastic cover. As rainsux says, you can hammer it largely into shape with a rubber mallet and a heat gun, but probably not perfect.

Body shop repairs are very expensive these days - best avoided if possible. Prices for painting is exorbitant. All those parts are either bolt on or clip on, so expensive body work not needed. Silver was the most popular color. There should be a good supply of used silver bumpers available for decent prices. At this age, the biggest challenge will be getting one with decent paint. Unfortunately, they are hard to ship because of size, but it can be done by Greyhound freight.

You might place a WTB ad in our buy/sell section below. Someone within driving distance might have one.

Don't be hard on yourself. To err is human. I did virtually the same thing and I'm near perfect :LOL:

Registered
2000 Honda Insight
Yeah, as others have said, don't beat yourself up, accidents happen, and nobody was hurt which is what's important! I'm supposedly a professional driver and I've done this kind of thing more than once 馃き

The bumper cover will probably pop back most of the way, and some polish or cutting compound will take most of the marks off it. It won't be perfect, but definitely livable-with till you can source another bumper or get that one painted.

Registered
Tail light? No problem... No doubt you've already found one, as eBay has more than a few always available. Here's one shipped for less than $60:

The bumper will probably pop right out. Remove it, push on the dent, reattach, done. I recall someone showing how right here in IC when he added a custom tow bar...?

Good luck, let us know how you do...

Reactions: Vivila

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Overnight the bumper popped itself back out. Perhaps the hot cold fluctuation helped with that. It's a bit scratched with a bit of white paint but this car already has minor dings all over so I'm not heartbroken. Perhaps after a good wash I'll see what remaining can be cleaned up.

Super Moderator
You must be living right ;)

Get some Rubbing Compound at an auto store. That will take the white paint off. Congratulations.

Registered
The bottom piece can be popped out or replaced. My concern is with the skirt. Looks like it鈥檚 bulging, was like that before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Yah the black trim was popped in on the corners before this.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
My friend told me a brake light was out in the light I replaced. Upon testing the passenger brake and reverse lights do not do anything while the blinker still works. I inspected both bulbs but they seem intact.

Kind of at a loss what to do. The wiring harness looks ok as well. These are the bulbs from the accident, perhaps that somehow broke them?

Super Moderator
That bulb on the right kinda looks dark inside from the photo. If true, that is usually a sign that something is wrong. A filiment is burned out or the bulb is leaking air (i.e. broken). If you were conversant with multimeters you could check the continuity of the filiments. Maybe your friend?

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
@jime you're right. On a closer look with a light source I can see one of the filiments is broken and one of the two circuits in the bulb is not continuous. So the brake light burned out but not the running light. Idk I didn't test running lights but I should have.

As for the reverse light, it seems iffy if I can get the multimeter to beep. Thought it might be finger oils but my testing and cleaning with a dry shirt didn't help much I don't think. Too inconsistent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts