Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the bolts coming out and causing a full loss of the wheel skirts is a normal issue, but I've got the opposite problem.

My passenger skirt came loose at the top, but the bolts held tight and the skirt popped out and turned into a wing. Before the trip, I made certain the top of the skirt was correctly mounted in the clips, and mid trip noticed a small panel gap at the top.l

Aside from the bent metal from the sail twisting outward, I wasn't able to find any other differences between the two sides, nor figure out a root cause.

I've bent the metal back to vertical, but I'm hesitant to reinstall for now.

Can anyone shed some light on what could have caused it to slide out of the top and how to fix long-term?

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
This is a fairly common problem. The top "hooks" get out of adjustment and no longer properly grip the skirt attachment loops. The fix is easy. Just tap each of the top hooks slightly with a small hammer to bend them inward very slightly. The skirt will then be slightly difficult to push upward into position.

The Dzus fasteners "float" quite a bit and aren't the primary mechanism to keep the covers in position.

You should then watch the skirt very closely on the first trip to make sure it doesn't drop. It won't drop if you got the adjustment correct, but you may have to make multiple attempts.

Thank klr3cyl who showed me the fix years ago:)

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Another thing to check, there are small rectangular rubber "bumpers" along the top edge of the skirt. I have one skirt missing several, it is not held in position as securely as the other side on my car. I believe the combo of some resilience of the bumper and being held behind the clips is what creates a good fit.
I've been meaning to fix mine for a while now, but haven't found the necessary "round tuits" so far!🤣

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The Dzus fasteners aren't made for tightening something so much as holding it in position. With wind and vibration, the skirt can drop down enough to come lose from the top. I've replaced the Dzus with M6 clip nuts and bolts that you can tighten down good.

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
Yep, I have one car set up that way and it is much better than the stock Dzus nuts:)

·
Registered
543 Posts
The PO of my Insight drilled an additional hole in the skirts near the front to keep them attached. Needless to say I would've preferred them not to do that but it definitely keeps them in place. Would recommend fixing the fasteners though instead as was recommended above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts